Auto feeders

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Tim S, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Tim S

Tim S

Hi all, I'm looking to get an auto feeder for my system, but have some reservations. My fish don't like the pellets but love the flakes. The issue I see hapening is that the flakes float and will be down the overflow before anyone see it. My goldies dont eat off the surface either so the flakes need to be below the water surface. Has anyone got some comment or advice on this ?

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

I had the same problem Tim then I placed my auto feeder to dispense the flakes under the water inlet so as they fall into the tank they get water shot on them then they go under - I still lose some but most get pushed under by the inlet - Also if you can use a power head close to the overflow and aim a little high it will push the surface flakes back into the tank as the go towards the outlet

4. Pads

Pads

Hey Tim, What you may try is putting the auto feeder in the return chamber of your sump that way the food will automatically be pumped into the water column. You may be required to clean the pump every now and then.

5. vatso

vatso

I am so scared using a feeder what if it does not feed the fish? & like you say all the other issues as well?

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

That's why I programmed mine to feed like the round about the times when I'm having breakfast lunch and supper and I've got 1 feed in the middle of the night - But looking at the feeders reserviour is easier than the actual feeding just know that the container is getting less by the day (see through holder) and problem solved! It also gives me much more pleasure to sit and watch them feeding than me giving them food at the back and then scrambling to the front to watch them eat!

7. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Hey Chikaboo, I followed the link on your thread and say a wras in the tank off live rock. It's got a brown stripe allong the white body with copper coloured fins. I cought on in the holidays, what's the name of this wras?

As far the auto feder solutions are concerned, the various options mentioned all cannot work in my system. My return pipes are both below water level & my external return pump suction pipe is below a layer of corral and live rock. Still snookered.
    It seems manual feeding is it then.

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry Tim lots of wrasse in my tank any idea which post number you saw this wrasse then I can go to it and double check the ID for you - I also have return pipes underwater but what I did was put a t-piece on one of them and brought one over the surface just for the flakes story - Also if you position an internal powerhead just below the water surface it will will create a whirlpool effect and drop the flakes - it will sucked underwater - problem solved:)

9. maj

maj

Yip,place the powerhead close to the autofeeder,that whirlwind will pul the flakes down.

Tim,just shift your Vortex pump right underneath the vortex pump,it will suck the food down.

10. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

AAhhhh.. I have an idea. The "T" piece option souns like a plan. I have one return deflected downward so that the suface gets skimmed to prevent a scum layer. I will try to modify this to receive a flake food dose which gets drawn downwards. Will DIY it later this week and comment.

Shot guys.

11. maj

maj

I see Dorrys got a nice autofeeder ther for R190,anybody used this one before?
    its a resun

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I used the ReSun autofeeder Maj. And yes. It is indeed a good product. Works well.

Recent Posts