Auto aircon setup

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Seabass, 16 Jan 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi all.
    What do I need to buy in order to set my tank up and link it to a aircon unit. So as temp increases the aircon switches on automatically and when temp is back to target range is switches off again. Thanks, any and all suggestions welcomed.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Inside the aircon is a temperature probe that turns it on and off. What you would need to do is get a temperature probe that is suitable to be placed in the aquarium and then link this probe to the aircons standard probe connections.

4. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Ok I see what you mean. Time for electrician to save the day it seems.

5. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Has anyone got any ideas on home made chillers... evaporation... heat exchanger or refrigerants??? i would really like to give a DIY chiller a go. mainly due to price :p

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there bud my ambient temp in the room where my tanks are controlled by a 18000BTU aircon that runs 24/7 .... the room stays at a constant temp so the water in my tanks don't change either .... dont need anything extra ... its the aircons job to switch on and off when neccessary ..... mind you we talking about keeping almost 2000 ltres of water at a constant temp and been doing so for the past 2 years ..... no chiller!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Achilles

Achilles

chikaboo, ouch electricity bills hurt with aircons runnning 24/7 i have the same setup ;(

8. amalick

amalick

I had this made for me for R3500. It works like a charm but you need space outside and be willing to plumb all the way to it. It comes on for about 1 or 2 minutes in summer every 2 or 3 hours or so and pulls my temp down from 27 to 26.5. In winter it never comes on. So no noticeable impact on the electrcity bill that I can speak of.

This picture is about 5 years old now and the unti still looks and works the same

Aircon unit outside

[​IMG]

Temp controller inside
    [​IMG]

Dont try this, it doesnt work

[​IMG]

9. Achilles

Achilles

amalick , who made that chiller for you? is it pure titanium inside? and where is the thermostat of the temp controller located in the exchanger or in your tank?

What maintenance does it require? what is the flow through the exchanger, what if the pump stops?does it cut out? sorry for all the Questions but very interested in this type of chiller.

10. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Cool one amalick, now I can show the person who is going to do mine what the temp controller looks like, is there a temp prob in the water, i mean in sump or dt. Nice one. That is what I am looking for, in summer it should just go on for as long as it takes to cool things down, then switch off.

11. amalick

amalick

1) THe chiller was order via my LFS (not a sponsor) he has a contact with someone that works for an aircon company who does this on the side to earn extra cash. Its not rocket science though so anyone who understands aircon setups can do this

2) Yes, it is pure titanium inside, in fact thats the expensive part. The titanium rod costs about R1500, and the aircon compressor about R1400 with the temp controler, plumbing and labour making up the balance of the R3500.

3) No maintenance has been required for 5 years now, but if it did it would probably be to refill the gas.

4) The flow rate through it is about 300lph, form a 600 lph pump.

5) If the pump fails I assume the aircon would continue running and freeze up the heat exchange chamber on top. I'm not sue what kind of damage would eventually result.

6) The temp controller/thermostat with built in relays etc.. is located in my engine room inside the house. The temp probe is inside my DT

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011
  12. durleo

durleo

Nice Chiller Amalick ! - There is a thread where we debated the effectivenesss of fridges ans freezers converted to chill the tank and the consensus is that they are not very efficient. If you not gonna go with amalicks route then jus get a Hailea chiller. Look at secondhand - i think Sims has one for sale!

Recent Posts