ATU options

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone assist in explaining why ATU's are rated according to gallons or litres, can an ATU rated for 50 gallon be used on a 90 gallon tank

Thanks,

An ATU should only top up a little but of water each time it runs. Percentage wise I never though about how much exactly. I got the SEGA unit and the two sensors are placed relatively close to each other. From the time it hits the lowest float switch. It must trigger the top float switch within a minute, else an alarm will sound. Mine is set to a minute. The SEGA can do 1, 2 or 3 minutes, or no timer option.

Due to it being a relay switch, you can use any 220V pump on it, regardless of size.

You do not want your ATU to fill 5% or more of your system volume every time it runs. Reason for ATU is to keep the salinity as stable as possible.

Im assuming they are referring to the flow output of the pump of the auto top up unit. You can use any size as long as it can do the head height you require

Thanks guys, Auto Top Off is correct,

I will have a sump with bucket for top up water which is next to sump so i presume no need to worry about head height, is that correct as the water level is measured in the sump if i am correct

So can i use say a Tunze 3152 on a 330 litre tank, need something easy to connect , sorry but new to setting up a sump

Yes your ATU can fill up directly into the sump. It is the preferred method. Less head height back pressure.

Just ensure that the end point of the pipe is higher than the full mark on RO chamber. Else it will keep on siphoning after the pump switched off.

Just a note. I had a reef octo atu and had to change to a tunze when I connected a kalk stirrer as the reef octo could not feed through the non return valve as the pump was too small. So choose accordingly.

When tank was running it was fine. I haven't used it in a while so maybe others can jog my memory on its safety options. I think it has 2 safety protocols. 1 is a high water level alarm to alert you that your return is higher than normal. Cause for this is usually the level sensor is dirty or has calcium build up. 2 is a timed output. If I'm not mistaken the pump comes on for 1 minute and usually the level sensor is reached and will shut off the pump within this minute if not it cuts off the pump. I may be a bit rusty on the safety protocols so if @George can chip in.

I've had 2 issues since using it. 1 the pump us not self priming so once the level in my reservoir was too low and I ended up burning the pump. Some have used the 12v replacement pump from camping stores as I think those are self priming. I just invert the pump to release air bubbles if its exposed to air. 2 was the calcium build up on the level sensor which caused it to not top up. I was dosing kalk in the same chamber as the sensor. Once I routinely maintained by rinsing in some vinegar it was all fine.

Tunze also makes a nano version but I think the timed output is the difference.

If someone can comment on the safety protocols it will put my mind at ease

3152 only for 200 LITRE
3155 the one for you the main sensor is a priority optical sensor. Incase of occurring problem a safety float switch shuts the unit off and sounds an alarm. If that fails to safety circuitry shuts off the pump after 10 minutes. This product has been on the market since 1985.

3152 only for 200 LITRE
3155 the one for you the main sensor is a priority optical sensor. Incase of occurring problem a safety float switch shuts the unit off and sounds an alarm. If that fails to safety circuitry shuts off the pump after 10 minutes. This product has been on the market since 1985.

Good day,

can you give us some pricing on you ATU units.

@Hammerhead , thanks for the input, much appreciated

@George ,Why is it that you cant post prices here on the forum, plus lots of other people will be interested and dont want o ask via PM,but please PM me prices as well 3155 ... also why cant a 3152 be used ?

thanks

I am a sponsor and I would hate to upset another sponsor. I can post on my own thread, Etiquette is important. Unlike some people who bulldozer there way into peopled pockets.The 3152 was designed for a system of 200. Liters only because of safety parameters. Current price for 3152 is R 1700.00 inclusive and 3155 is 3152.00 inclusive. Sorry I can't pm you from my phone.

Back
Top Bottom