Attaching Corals

kssquared

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I am sure this has been answered plenty in different threads, so I apologise in advance. What can safely be used to attach corals to live rock whilst the rock is still underwater & in place in the tank ?

kssquared

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Mekaeel, do you do this with the rock still in place in the tank ? Does the superglue not "dry" as it hits the water before you can place the coral on the desired rock ?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Mekaeel's speed reading again.

Superglue will not work in the water.

Are you wanting to mount sps corals?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Mekaeel's speed reading again.

Superglue will not work in the water.

Are you wanting to mount sps corals?
Sir.Viper,ive tried it and it worked.even placed the tube in the water and slowly squeezed the glue onto the desired rock and stuck on my frags (SPS) ;)

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Ok my apologies. I tried to be clever and did try it once but it ended a total disaster.

nakoma

Clownfish
Reaction score
super glue dries when it comes in contact with the thing you are attatching it it does not care if it is in water or not that is why doctors use it to close big fleshy wounds fast

kssquared

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Thanks. I do not have anything in particular to fix, but I was wondering how to do it without dismantling my live rock every time.

palmerc

Chromis
Reaction score
I prefer to attach the corals to smaller pieces of live rock first, and then place them in my tank. Reason for this is that I like to requascape everynow and then and if the corals are on large pieces of rock it makes it difficult as they canthen onyl be placed in one or two positions.

Withthe corals on smaller pieces of live rock (say 1/2 palm size about) it is easier to move them around to accomodate aquascaping. The small pieces are also easy to stick in gaps in the rock.