Att Dog lovers

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by Shaun, 8 Jan 2008.

  1. Shaun

    Shaun Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    29 Aug 2007
    Posts:
    5,274
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    KZN
    Was sent this email so decided to post it.


    > If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a
    > dog, please pass along to friends who do.
    >
    > Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
    > Danville Veterinary Clinic
    > Danville , Ohio
    >
    > This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
    > MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
    > half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
    > Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
    > Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
    >
    > I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
    > but hadn't seen any formal paper on th is. We had her bring the dog in
    > immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
    > doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway,
    > we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they
    > said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney
    > values for the next 48-72 hours.
    >
    > The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
    > than 27) and creatinine! over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
    > monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
    > and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN
    > was
    > over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
    > fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent
    > him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight
    > as well as overnight care.
    >
    > He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
    > continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
    > diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
    > couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
    > BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
    > elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
    > skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
    > euthanize.
    >
    > This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
    > could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this
    > very
    > serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
    > toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
    > including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
    > concern.
    >
    > Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth
    > passing on to them.
    >
    > Confirmation from Snopes about the above...
    >
    > http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
    >
     
  2. AdS Guest




    to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

    Mike Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    12 May 2007
    Posts:
    7,859
    Likes Received:
    30
    Location:
    the Motherland
    Scary stuff, thanks Thallion
     
  4. DragonReef

    DragonReef

    Joined:
    4 May 2007
    Posts:
    2,601
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban, ZA
    Crikey our Dog eats raisins off the floor when the kids drop them.

    Sheesh.
     
  5. Mike

    Mike Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    12 May 2007
    Posts:
    7,859
    Likes Received:
    30
    Location:
    the Motherland
    our kids used to eat a lot of raisins off the floor when we had a rabbit:p
     
  6. Shaun

    Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    29 Aug 2007
    Posts:
    5,274
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    KZN
    :lol::lol::lol:

    Did you tell them they were not raisins?:whistling:
     
  7. Mike

    Mike Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    12 May 2007
    Posts:
    7,859
    Likes Received:
    30
    Location:
    the Motherland

    Saved hoovering;)
     
Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - lovers Forum Date
Pet Lovers Emporium Motto - Please Like our Facebook Page Pet Lovers Emporium 2 Nov 2016
New Sponsor - Pet Lovers Emporium Pet Lovers Emporium 30 Oct 2016
Radion lovers - interesting read with profiles Lighting 26 Feb 2016
For all Zoa lovers! Soft Corals 9 Jan 2014
For Arachnid Lovers Technology 23 Oct 2013
For Nano Lovers - Part 5 Reef Hunters 17 Jul 2013
For Nano Lovers - Part 4 Reef Hunters 17 Jul 2013