ATS vs. Refuge and Macro Algae

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Jaco Schoeman, 12 May 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Okey guys, I got this interesting link about the diffs between an ATS and Macro's... SantaMonica wrote it...;)

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67

Anyway, this thread is obviously very PRO ATS - understandibly.

My question is though, what do you do to get the macro's to do the same as an ATS. An ATS has it's own drawbacks too, so if I decide to got with Macro's, how do I get it as good as my current ATS?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

IMHO an ATS and a refugium serve very different purposes!
    The ATS pulls out so much more because of very rapid growth rates - highly oxygenated environment with large water transfer over the algae. If you wanted to replicate this in a refugium, you'd want to replicate those factors. Very rapid flow, fast growing algal species, and some way of increasing dissolved ox... maybe a sort of "rapids" before it hits the fuge?

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Aeration inside the fuge with a powerhead maybe?

Let me maybe tell you where this is coming from:

My main focus here is pod population in the fuge, but with very good filtration ability. My concern with an ATS is that it also removes important trace elements that hinders the pods from growing fast enough. Also, because you take "most" algae spores out the water column onto the screen, you deprive pod larvae from that food source - hence the fact that I want to can the ATS, and rather run chaeto with a DSB and LR only.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why not have both?

My scrubber is above my Cheato ball. Both use the same light. Both are growing. So why not?

6. Jaco Schoeman

The main problem with an ATS is that it is so good, that it sometimes take up all the food that macro algae need to live from. I have heard many stories of macro's dying and ats thriving. Take out the ATS and the macro's go bos again...:p

So I do not want this to happen, as I really need the trace elements and food for the copepods.;)

7. keyaam

keyaam

If pods are you main concern then dont run an ATS. Or maybe build a single sided ats and chaeto

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

grow Caleurpa that will be awesome, my pod population exploded and the GHA that was on the back glass dissapeared. It really ate up what ever nutrients i had in my water column. I have some left if u want

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

why not build the ATS to below spec? make is half the size required for the your tank thatwat it wont strip the water of everythingand leave the other half to the marco algae?

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

To answer you original question, what can you do to make the macro "as" effective as the ATS in removing nutrients..... While i agree with Dane in a sence that the ATS hs a dig advantage in oxygenating the water and in cooling it, in terms of nutrient removal, give it wht is neeeds....i.e PROPPER light ... i would suggest something like 2 x 39w T5 6500K or like 6 energy saving globe.... basically i think that we tend to skimp on the lighting for macro algae.... oh and i believe that calerpa is much better and faster growing than chaeto

11. Jaco Schoeman

Thank you Neil. I will have 4x 20W CFL spotlights that comes off the scrubber... Would that suffice?

Also, would pods also breed in calerpa or would chaeto be better? Or both, one for breeding and one for filtration?

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Calerpa will out compete the cheato and the cheato will disseapeear.

13. Neil H

Try the lighting you have now, but up it is your macro is not growing Bos...

I have visions of 5 or 6 different macro's in my filtration, so my vote goes for having both of them there .... i just think the calerpa will out perform the chaeto but thats fine...

an undersized scrubber is also something to think about as butcherman said...... IF aeration and temp is also a problem, if not stick to macro's, for your system i think PODS are critical !

14. Boegie

Boegie

Great thread, thanks.

15. Jaco Schoeman

Just a quick question then... If I were to make a screen from that underground filter plastic and let water run down there, the same way as a scrubber would, but I have no light on it, would that not also assist in aeration and water cooling?

16. butcherman

Yes it would . You could also run a pc fan over the water fall to increase the evaporation and thereby increase the cooling effect

17. Neil H

is someone planning a new system :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

18. butcherman

well we know you are Neil H :razz:

19. robertkukla

robertkukla

i have both ATS and chaeto now the question is ???? i will be following to see if i must now remove one

20. Neil H

but the Q is what do I have planned Sir ..... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

21. Dane

Dane

You can just reduce the efficiency of your ATS by making it smaller. Easy as pie.

If you were to make your refugium/cheato ball super effective by bombing it with light then it will also pull out all those good things that the ATS would... They perform the same function, just ATS is much better at it.

I would run an ATS that you can add panes/area or lighting to reduce the pulling power, and then run a large refugium with macro - the pods love it. My mantis tank is basically a mini refugium and its CRAWLING with pods! You can actually see the "foraging fronts" where they are grazing away cyanobacteria on the glass! So Cool! :)

Recent Posts