ATS Question

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by charlv, 1 Feb 2010.

1. charlv

charlv

Hi All Reefers

Hope you all well and all systems run fine.;)
    I've got a question on the ATS i know that the growth on the scrubber depends on the lights you use and how close they are but mine grows algae but then the growth stop at a certain point plus hair algae start to grow in my tank. I use 2 x 45W cool white eurolux lamps, screen 30cm x 30cm, flow i use my overflow about 1500l/h.

So please help and give me more advice why hair algae start to grow in my tank. I've cut back on feeding only once a day and only flakes

Top up with RO water

Cheers Charl

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

Charlv
    trail and error My ATS also fills from the over flow the pump is 13000 L per hour. I found without a skimmer I had turf algae nice green stuff that you can serve on a plate. Once I got a skimmer I could never get that same growth on my screens. But on my back glass in the DT I got dark green turf from top to bottom, so far I have not got it on my LR. Maybe its because I take a power head and blast most of my LR. It does mess up the water but within an hour the water is clear. I also noticed that the Turf on the back glass has also slowed down in growth over time . I also happen to have 4 tangs and 2 fox faces that make short work of it. Please note I only added them around week 12-13.

So if it is part of the cycle that new tanks go through, and in time the tank will mature and take care of it self, or us that have to learn how much to feed only time can tell. Test your water PO4 and NO3 and let someone else also test it to make sure your test kit give you the same reading. If you can keep those down I think the rest will take care of it self. MY 2 C

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm using the same globes. And no problem.

But you do not say if screen is double sides (globes one a side) or single sided (both globes on one side). And if you use any reflectors.
    Also you do not specify the lightning period. Mine runs long hours. Switch on at 15:00 until 10:00 next day. So its off only 5 hours.

I doubt if the water flow speed makes a difference. But I do know that if there is a surge or wave it is better. But nobody does it that way.

Globes should be as close as possible without getting wet. Be carefull, as the screen grow, I found my water exit sometimes blocks up in a way that creates little pee line away from the screen. In the direction of the light normally. But that is a flaw in my current design. If you put a glass cover between globe and screen, be sure that it is always clean. As it will block the light.

5. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Hi RiaanP

Ok only single sided both globes on one side lights on from 14:00 to 9:00 (19hours). Globes very close to screen

But question why do i get hair algae.

6. regis

regis

I use the same globe, mine is one sided, have to clean it once a week, i find that if you dont clean it once a week then some of the algea can die off, then small outbreaks were accuring in my tank, regular harvesting and the outbreaks stop, might be wrong??

7. Sentari

Sentari

Mine does the same. I'm running 3 x 23w 2700lm Power Saving Globes and i'm also getting GHA only. No turf algae. So i'm tagging along.

I also have algae still growing in my tank.

8. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

I spoke to VIP PETS and they say it could be my KH

What do you guys think sorry can't test for KH will take some water to be tested and let you know

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

It means that your scrubber does not take out all it should. Or all that is available. :(

Most Likely it is just too small. 30x30 is small. What is your tank size?

Can you move one light to the back. I got the same globes, but it is double sided and the screen is 60*30. So same amount of light but tripple the screen size compared to yours (mines bigger than yours :razz:)
    Also using very crude alliminium foil as reflectors.

BUT

I also have cheato in my sump. And it is growing. If the scrubber was 100% effective, the cheato should die. And my back glass do have algae growth on it.
    But I still believe in the scrubber. I remove a lot of stuff from it every week.

10. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Tank Size 918x605x520(High)

11. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Do not have space in sump area for bigger one so i think i must build one like Mudshark. Everything well water good but Hair Algae a problem:p

Recent Posts