ATI vs Geisemann

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tony, 28 Apr 2011.

1. Tony

Tony

I would just like to get your opinions on the ATI powermodule vs the Geisemann Matrix? A lot of guys on international forums seem to think that the ATI is better because of the cooling fans prolonging the life of the bulbs and maintaining high par readings opposed to the Geisemann but I would just like to hear your opinions and experiences. The ATI is slightly cheaper than the Geisemann. Both will have 8 T5's with varying colours. Also how do you rate the bulbs of each brand?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

yeah, I have seen lots of revies where guys actually prefer the powermodule over the Matrix.
    I think the Matrix unit comes with bulbs and the ATI doesnt.The ATI has splash guard and the matrix doesnt. The ATI has fans ontop and the matrix has fans on the sides.

I was in the process of of deciding between the two and I did own a powermodule and I must say the build and quality of the ATI is top notch.

Now I am looking into the Fauna Marin T5 unit. Google it and see what you think...

At the end of the day I think it comes down to cooling and most importantly the reflectors...

4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

5. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Thanks Ridwaan

The guys on that forum page say the Geisemann doesnt have fans hence the drop in PAR. The matrix does come with bulbs but the ATI still works out cheaper. I'll check out the fauna marin and get back to you

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

how much is it costing if i may ask Tony?

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

tony, you can also have a look at the aqua medic t5 units, they have cooling fans aswell and cheaper than the ati units.

8. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Also take in mind that the Fauna Marin unit comes with built in LED moonlights and has sensor for shimmer MH effect. Kicks both the ATI and giesamann out....hehehehehehe
    THis is the direction im going

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Quick one guys. Does the fans on the ATI Power Module cool the ballasts and unit, or does it cool the bulbs directly?

10. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Keeps the whole unit cooled at the optimum temp for T5 output. So they come on and off depending on the temp of the unit, if i remember reading correctly. so that the T5's operate at the optimal Temp

12. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

A ballpark figure is about R3000-00 cheaper than Scott's selling price on the Geisemann which we cant get, so you have to add the pet shops mark up.

Will do. Who supplies the aquamedic T5's and do they come in 8 X 39 watt units

How do they compare in price and spectral output. I'm not too perturbed about the glitter lines. BTW, who brings in the fauna marin or do you have to order it online?

I've decided to go with the new model powersun which has one fan per two bulbs to cool the ballasts and transformers for optimal output. It is also dimmable and has a one bulb per reflector. The bulbs are also included

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Contact idol marine, and yes they come in 8x39w with moonlight LED`s

14. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok, so then it is basically the unit and not the bulb directly then. Thanks Ziyaad.

That sounds good Tony. Please keep us posted on the performance of this unit once you receive it.

15. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Do you know how much they are, more or less?

16. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i had the 6x39w and it was just under R5000 including bulbs.

17. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

That's not too bad. How are the lights in your opinion and do they dim?

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  18. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

OK, so Geisemann is out because of the price and drop in PAR because of the lack of fans. I've contacted both ATI distributors in SA. I guy called Liaquat wants to set my wallet on fire with 10K for a power sun which is the cheaper unit with globes. Another guy called Jay doesnt even get back to me despite numerous phone calls and messages so he's out. Aquamedic is starting to look decent but the spacing of the bulbs together is a bit concerning especially getting 8 bulbs into a 35cm space and its R5400-00 excluding the bulbs which is another R2500-00 give or take. I dont know who brings Fauna Marin in or if you have to import it yourself. @ridwaan could you help out here?

19. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

OK, I've decided to go with the aquamedic 8 X 39 pendant with night LED's and cooling fans. I want to use geisemann bulbs and I want to ask for your opinion on the configuration and bulb types.

Aqua blue +
    Aqua pink
    Aqua blue +
    Actinic plus
    Aqua blue +
    Aqua pink
    Actinic +
    Aqua blue +

It sounds very blue from the choices but the aqua blue is a 60/40 combo of blue and white light, the actinic plus is a 22000K bulb and the aqua pinks are for red and purple colouration. I still have two separate actinics on a home made pendant that I want to either keep or get rid of depending on how the tank looks.

Opinions would be appreciated

20. durleo

durleo

That sounds like a nice combination of bulbs - I would say it will have a good growth and will be aestethically pleasing.:thumbup:

21. gaboon

gaboon

Would you not be sacrificing growth with 2 pinks?

Recent Posts