ATI 200i skimmer pump, useless?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by deadmeat2016, 11 Mar 2013.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi all

Writing this because I am sick and tired of my ATI powercone 200i's pump. Who else has a powercone with the threadwheel and are you experiencing the same problems I am?

The pump is fancy; soft start, throttle, stops when there's a blockage and the awesome looking thread wheel.....great right? noooooooo

The skimmer has an airflow gauge which reads 1500L of air being pulled when the pump is clean. skimmer works ok, gets tuned in and skims, really fine bubbles rah rah rah. 1 week later 1000L of air, 2 weeks 800L and 3 weeks 700L. This also causes water level in the skimmer to drop making the foam level drop, thus waste doesnt make it to the skimmer cup. I have been battling with this for a year now and am sick and tired.

I have established that it is the threadwheel being blocked by bacterial film that builds up between the spaces and some debris aswell which lowers the pulling power drastically. Its not salt blocking the air intake or anything else along those lines, as i say, have been battling for a year now. Even tried putting a filter sock over the skimmer intake, no improvement, tried running it on low "revs", no improvement, tried cleaning it thoroughly, worked!.....for a week, tried leaving it at 700L of air, nope still drops.

anyone else with this problem?

I have A reef octo xs160 running next to it with the sicce 160 pump, perfect unit, completely wipes the floor with the ATI, fills its cup in 2 days whereas the powercone barely collects anything. It doesnt even have to be run in, it pulls skimmate from the word GO. No issues, constant skimming, no loss of power, does what it says on the tin. havnt even cleaned the pump since i bought it and it works exactly the same way it did then. have had to clean the powercone pump 3 times since the xs160!! and its not easy, 4 screws have to be undone, things have to be aligned and put back on, not a quick operation.

I am sorry ATI, ur pump impeller is useless!! The threadwheel is an awesome idea, point taken, but its reliability.......shit

Are there any other powercone users that have the same problem? Am considering either 1)replacing the impeller if there is a needle or star wheel that fits, or 2) new pump to fit the body, or lastly 3) bigger reef octo xs

Feel free to comment or suggest ideas to this problem, I have had it!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trasique

Trasique tahir

i've heard of guys having issues with the threadwheel impellor i think @Tony Ingram has one if i remember, maybe he can help

Last edited: 11 Mar 2013
  4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Why dont you contact ATI straight..
    It makes perfect sense when you say the bacterial layer clogging the threadwheel...
    Maybe cut out every second block on the threadwheel and then check performance?

Otherwise look for a pinwheel impellor.

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

Modifying the impeller will imbalance it and do not want to take the risk, its such a disappointment due to the price of the skimmer, its simply useless.
    Have tried contacting ATI but they don't seem to reply.

6. deadmeat2016

have been provided with ATI rep's number in SA, will; contact tomorrow.

Is there no-one else with this skimmer?

7. Riaanv

Riaanv

I have a 250i. I took the air flow meter off as it was also causing issues in my case. When it gathers dust and gets old I dont think it works the same anymore - dont think it gives an accurate reading and it actually caused my pump to stop and restart. The new ones have digital air meters

I have also noticed the pump losing performance over time. Mine is not as pronounced as yours perhaps. I now try to clean it every 4 weeks or so. If I dont have time and its skimming dry I dial it closed. After a clean perfromance is definately up. Had reeftek before and was lower maintenance.

Also think that even at 75% it outperformes a lot of skimmers.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

sorry to hear of your issues, perhaps this is ati's way of forced maintenence to ensure optimal performance?

either way annoying im sure...

9. crispin

crispin

i have the 250i as you know wouter, and while im not that impressed with its performance stacked against other German brands, its still a good skimmer. I have other issues with it but the pump and impellor hasnt ealy given me hassels. I am a little short of time but i actually started doing a skimmer review on the 250i a while ago, i'll dig it out and try finish it off sometime.

10. deadmeat2016

Crispin, that would be appreciated, am tired of struggling with this ridiculous problem, ATI have emailed me back only suggesting that the intake is being blocked by salt or carbonate, it simply isnt the problem, we could all agree that salt or carbonate buildup doesnt occur within a week but after several months. Also tried leaving the skimmer off for a while and restarting, doesnt work. The email from ATI did mention a new 'nozzle' which makes me curious, have emailed back and they should reply tomorrow.

11. deadmeat2016

Right, for anyone who is interested, I have established the problem fully, It's in fact the nozzle the pump which becomes clogged and traps gunk and reduces overall water intake which leads to the impeller getting clogged and a massive downfall of performance. I have the first generation, needs to be cleaned every 3 weeks!

ATI have 3 generations of nozzle.......
    The first which is mine, has small square slits, was fitted to the pumps early 2011 for only 4 months

12. deadmeat2016

2nd generation, mid 2011, notice the holes on the nozzle are rounded, extended maintenence period to over a month with less overall performance drop

power_cone_particolare 1(1).jpeg

13. deadmeat2016

3rd generation, fitted in mid 2012, fixes problem, adds more air, much longer maintenance period.
    ATI are sending me one from Germany which should fix the problem!!

Thanks for the input

Düse 01.jpg

Düse 02.jpg

Düse 03.jpg

Recent Posts