ATC or No ATC

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Shaun, 2 Oct 2007.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Hi
    Need some info on Refractometers. The ones with ATC, does it realy make a diff to the ones that don't. The ATC must be for the meter it's self as you use drops of water and that small amount of water will change temp very quickly. Have been told their is no real diff, is this true.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would agree with this as it is more important to have consistency with your sg as apposed to a specific reading.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Even though people believe strongly in using Refractometers, I agree with Alan - things don't HAVE to be absolutely perfect..... the closer the better of course. BUT, as long as it is in a reasonably close ball-park figure, AND IS KEPT STABLE, then all the life-stock seems to be happy.
    So, in my uninformed opinion, I would say it does most likely not really make a difference. Unless you are a scientist or close to being one (or just anal about things), then you would want the MOST accurate reading possible..... I have been using a very old fashioned "needle" hydrometer and have not had any major hassles so far....

5. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

I currently use a Hydrometer, but have to dip it a couple of times to compair readings, so am looking into the refractometers. Was showen one the other day and they are very easy to use. Just don't want to buy the wrong one, pay more now than buy another later.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

What hydrometer are you using Thalion? One of the swing needle types? Or the glass (floating) type? Have you cleaned your hydrometer with some RO water or even tap water? Perhaps try some vinegar to try get rid of gunk that might be affecting the hydrometer's performance.

7. Shaun

Hi jacquesb, I am using the "swing needle", and have rinsed it now & again. what I like about the refracto is that u use only a couple of drops of water. What bothers me if I get one without ATC how aqurite will the reading be when the ambient temp is say 15 compaired to 27 deg.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I reckon try and get one with ATC otherwise you will always be doubting your readings. You're doubting them now and you haven't even got the refractometer yet. :D For piece of mind, get one with ATC.

9. Shaun

Thanks Viper, but y did the price not show on the net, but on email. Who sells them at that price localy the best was R500 but no ATC.

10. viper357

Sorry about that, I forgot that price was on special and was not the normal price, that's why I edited it out. Normal price is around 500-650 I think, I managed to get one with ATC on a 1 time special for 350 or 395.

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes it does, if there is a large temperature difference.

Given that we spend quite a bit of money and effort to keep our tanks at constant temperatures, it would not make much difference if you use the refractometer to monitor the same system (with plus-minus the same water temperature) all the time. It is important to ensure that the actual refractometer is close to the tank temperature before doing the test. I keep mine on top of the sump center brace for half an hour or so before testing, just to make sure the refractometer and water are close to the same temperature.

It would be a good idea to ensure that the refractometer is reading correct at your tank temperature, by checking it with a good quality glass floating hydrometer.

Hennie

12. Shaun

I got myself one with ATC . Have calabrated it at 20.7 deg with RO water, but it look like the hydrometer may have been way out it reads 1024 but the refractometer says it is 1030. Any segestions ?

13. Alan

Start removing salt water and replacing with RO water over a few days. I cant recall how big your system is but on 2000L i would do 20L per day. It is far less stressful to live stock lowering the sg than increasing it.

14. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

That is more or less in line with my findings. I buy my water, salt and RO and one day decided to test the SG for in case. My hydrometer tested the water at 1.019. More than a little worried I went back to the LFS and asked them to test the water while I'm there. Their refractometer tested the water at 1.024 Don't trust hydrometers from that day.

15. Alan

Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate best to have your water checked by a refractometer.

16. Shaun

Thx, will also take some water to maybe northlands so they can test, just incase the readings are wrong.

Does anybody know what problems you can have if the salinity is too high.

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Thalion.Andrew stocks refractrometers,i bought mines from him and very pleased with it

18. Shaun

Thx Mekaeel, but you have been speed reading I have got one. Just want to compaire reading just to be 100%. Got it in JHB this weekend was going to get from Andrew, but went for one with ATC.

19. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Thalion, how much did you pay and where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

20. Shaun

PM sent they are not sponsers so no name.

21. viper357

No problem mentioning their name. Share the love :D

Recent Posts