Astraea Snail...Durban

belindamotion

Google Master
Reaction score
Hi Reefers
Does anybody know where I can get Astraea Snails in Durbs...?
p-86499-snail.jpg

Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Astraea Conehead Snail
I see their max is about 1"...which is what I'm looking for as the Mexican Turbo can reach about 2" and some Sites even state 3"...way to big for maneuvering around in my small TL-450..

Would really appreciate it if someone can steer me in the right direction...

hey BELINDA i have been looking for them for some time now now lucky i am gonna watch this space

hi @Belinda any luck with where u can buy that snail in Durban ?

Last edited by a moderator:
in the sea, plenty, check for one's with a more rounded shell.

wes are u kiddin me ? u serious lol where do i find them in the rock pools

yip, not the axact type you're looking for but they eat algea little more rounded than the pointier sharp edges, same shell structure tho.

yip, not the axact type you're looking for but they eat algea little more rounded than the pointier sharp edges, same shell structure tho.
Do they also stay so small...?

mine are slow growers, how big is small, grab a small one from a rock pool, when he gets too big, chuck him back and pick up a nother small one :)

I'll take a pic and pop it on here for you tonight, picked them up along the rocks off of shaka's rock over December. Not grown much, but they eat algae...

mine are slow growers, how big is small, grab a small one from a rock pool, when he gets too big, chuck him back and pick up a nother small one :)
No can do...I choose my Tankmates for life...:p..I really don't want them bigger than the 1"....Turbo gets to big and my Aquascaping is really crappy(IMO) and bound to get "stuck between a rock and a hard place"...:005:

Last edited:
bottom pic
Excellent as I see they grow to 1" also...I know snails are sensitive but one of the reasons I first bypassed them is the fact that seem to be that extra sensitive and I'm worried about my water parameters in my small little 58L....although I'm good at keeping it "stable"...I'm a bit worried about the "heat factor" on one of those odd "hot and humid" days...don't want to stress them out...I'll feel terrible if something had to happen to them...:(...actually one of the reasons I don't have any snails in my Tank to start off with...:blush:

hardy fella's lasted a week in a cooler bag, just with a pump going...

k thanks wes @ belinda will go check the rock pool rear la lucia if i find any will let u know i will get 1 or 2 for you is that k belinda

k thanks wes @ belinda will go check the rock pool rear la lucia if i find any will let u know i will get 1 or 2 for you is that k belinda
That sounds terrific..2 would do nicely, seeing that they are small...:thumbup:..must admitt...I require MASA PROOF that we definately got "herbivours" before I put the little buggers in my Tank...:005:..:p

I'll take a pic and pop it on here for you tonight, picked them up along the rocks off of shaka's rock over December. Not grown much, but they eat algae...
@Wes ...will you remember to take a nice close-up of the snail in question..:blush:.. and seeing that you got you'rs off rocks...is it then safe to assume that if I'm doing a waterchange and the snail is on the glass..that she would be okay if exposed to air..? and if that is the case...is it one of those snails that will try and climb out...? I've got a Hood but the snails no good to me if she's going to climb over and stay in my back chambers of my BOYU as I'll probably never be able to get her out of there...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
they climb just, just out of the water to start with, mine have never come out the water after about a month or so, I'll take a pic as soon as i get home.

they climb just, just out of the water to start with, mine have never come out the water after about a month or so, I'll take a pic as soon as i get home.
Ok..do I then assume that I must move her lower down when I do water changes, as not to expose her to air..? Or are you only refering to the "potential climbing", which by the sounds of it, seems to be almost non-existent...which by the way is good...:thumbup:

they are fine in air, they'll climb out of the water themselves, they do it every tide change :)

Back
Top Bottom