Asterinas multiplying!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Helga, 3 Sep 2012.

1. Helga

Helga

Is it a good or bad thing? I'm noticing more and more Asterinas in the tank. Every liverock has on them. Theres different species. Some them are blue and others are a bit bigger but white. They tend to gather on the glass during lights out. Every morning I find more and more on the glass.

I was wondering if a Harlequin shrimp would eat Asterinas. I dont want to add one to the tank if its gonna be a maybe, as feeding it with big live starfish is not an option for me :eek:.

Another question is : Because the Harlequin is such a delicate creature, is it right to even add them to a big system like mine? I know they do great in Nano's etc.

Advice would be appreciated!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I would not get a Harlequin. It will very quickly consume the asterinas and then run out of food. So you will have to feed it after a short while. Not my cup of rooibos.

4. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Haha Marius, mine neither!!!

You dont think at the rate theyre multiplying he would be able to survive! Theyre really everywhere!...

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

They will multiply only to the level that the tank can maintain.

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I dont think so. Remember that you are currently seeing an explosion due to the large numbers already. As the harlequin eats hem the rate of multiplication will decrease until it gets to a point where the rate of consumption is faster. How long it will take I am not sure of.

7. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Should I be worried about them being so many in the tank? Wont they start chowing on my corals? Seems as though the Harlequin is not my answer.... anything else that eats them?

8. rakabos

rakabos

I see lots in my tank too. Almost always on the rock and glass, seldomly on coral. I do harvest them once in a while, using a pin to pick them off the rock

9. Esmond

Esmond

I also have hundreds in my tank and getting 1 harlequin shrimp hoping that it might reach an equilibrium( have 1 scooter blenny thats just doing that with the amphipods) hope that make sense.

10. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Otherwise when it's taken out all the stars, send him to another tank. Or bring him back to us. Or bring him to my tank, I'll have him for a year and then I'll give him back to you for your next swarm of stars.:p

I dont know their lifespan though.

11. crispin

crispin

ive always loved harlequins and im letting my stars grow out so I can place a pair in my tank, and at the same time train them onto defrosted white fish, hake or the like. If i had an asteria star problem thats exactly what i would add, truley beautuful and amazing to watch as a pair, the male often taking stars to feed his mate.

12. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

@Bob the (reef)builder;

If I do this Rob, I would definitely take you up on your offer..... Im sure I have enough to keep him busy for a while. Now would you advise only 1 or should I buy them in a pair. Being so small would they not feel more secure as a pair? The only other shrimps is 4 Cleaners shrimps, so they should not have a problem with them. I have trained them to take Lance fish from the feeding tube every other day, so I would certainly try to train the Harlequins as well.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Recent Posts