Assumptions

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Oopkrane, 12 Sep 2013.

1. Oopkrane

Oopkrane

I am new to the marine aquarium hobby and would like your opinion on the following statement:
    All LFS staff/owners assume that marine/reef aquarium owners are millionaires and have unlimited budgets?

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Sep 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. regis

regis

It is just an expensive hobby, look rather on the forsale forums

4. Seabass

Seabass

No I don't think so, you set a budget and stick to it. If you exceed your budget them this is going to be an unpleasant hobby.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

false

6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

my 2c ... you can do and use what works for you,your tank and your pocket....or...you can try to keep up with the joneses .... i use what works for me...

7. pkc

pkc

It's a load of rubbish, this hobby can be quite cheap for you to enjoy something that's quite impressive.

8. regis

regis

Well, what is classified as cheap, cheap to one person might be expensive to another

9. Evo R

Evo R

Its yes and no.

But its basically the same as golf. If you need the latest and best new gadgets every month you better have deep pockets!!! Otherwise save up or look in the for sale section for great bargains and work from there.

10. regis

regis

I agree

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

So by this theory the same applies to all staff at Golf Shops

12. seank

seank

If you cannot afford the hobby, then do not start the hobby. There is life at risk, incl yours if your mrs find your till slips.
    That being said.... Go for basics, leave the techno stuff for the people who can afford them.
    Btw, I am sticking to the basics.
    Ohhh, if ever you go into a LFS...... Wear tattered clothes and be barefoot. They will not bother you...

13. the fish

the fish

false. built up my system for under 2000.

14. Oopkrane

Oopkrane Thread Starter

Good advice all round.
    Thanks

15. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Thats why most of us quickly tag along to builds with lots of tech and gadgets, and obvioulsy the reefers cred too, for those of us that cannot afford it we can just drool.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  16. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Agree...Here's my agree button...:thumbup1:

17. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

My thoughts are that this hobby is as expensive as you want to make it

18. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the general perception of marines is that it is an expensive hobby to enter and maintain, but it also depends largeley on yourself and your ability to build something rather than buy ready made, in some instances buying is easier and cheaper (in terms of time spent to manufacture your own not to mention mistakes etc)

i build my own stands clad them build my own tanks and do my own plumbing, in actual fact its one of the more exciting parts of the hobby for me...

if you are not prepared to lift a finger be prepared to pay, as something as simple as plumbing does take time and will be expensive if you employ somebody to do it for you..

paitience is an extreemly valuable asset to have on your side, it stops impulse purchases and allows you time to look for deals in the for sale forums...

we are lucky in that our LFS understands that marines are expensive and they do bring in the entry level equipment so that you can start off cheapish and progress as you start understanding the difference of for eg: a top end skimmer vs a jebo entry level.

19. pkc

pkc

Good advice!
    I diy a great deal, just for starters you can make the tank and sump your self from second hand glass from a shop fitters throw aways.
    Get some one to clue you onto how to choose what will best survive when you buy just from the creatures movement's and colouration while in the shops tanks.
    There are so many options to help save money and make this hobby quite cheap compared to what most think it is.
    If you do not ask and adhere to good advice, if you are a hopeless handy person, if you are impatient, then you will have an expensive most likely short lived hobby.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2013
  20. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I agree that it does not have to be expensive. Ive almost never purchased new equipment and I DIY most of the little things I needed in my setup. Ive purchased regenerate-able chemical filtration like purigen/phosguard and that also saves me a bit of money in that department. If you stock your tank slowly and do your research, you will add the best and healthiest livestock from the beginning and thus only have to buy once. Same goes for corals, no matter how pretty the coral/corals , make sure you have the correct lighting,flow and parameters before going out to buy them. Itll save you money/tears and a whole lot of frustration. Frags are a great,cheaper way to stock corals,and nothing is more rewarding than looking at your tank a year down the line, seeing the little frags you added, are now colonies. Good husbandry will keep your inhabitants happy and healthy. Asking questions and doing a lot of reading on MASA, will also save you money. Remember that something that works for me, might not work for you. Slowly is the trick.

21. Istio

Istio

Since the statement asks about assumptions and LFS owners. Do you know what the lease terms are for even a modest retail premises? :)

Recent Posts