Assorted mushroom rock

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Hawkvr, 19 Nov 2009.

1. Hawkvr

Hawkvr

I bought an assorted mushroom rock a few weeks back. I was told it was very hardy. the mushrooms seem to be dying off. I am not sure they are mushrooms they look more like round leaves. It started with one the other day and now 2 or three more don't look to healthy. My Water is great there is no ammonia or anything and ph is at 8.
    I am not sure if it has to do with light. I have 2 globes. 1x12000k and 1 actinic. My tank is not very deep its a bout 450mm deep. I can post a pic tonight. i was just wondering if there is something i might be missing. All the other fish and stuff look fine. I have no other coral only live rock, a cleaner shrimp, yellow tail damsel, tube worm, turbo snail and goby.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Welcome to MASA! Are you dosing iodine?

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

how far from the lights is it? if its closer than it was at the lfs it could be light shock, place them on the bottom of your tank anf gradually move them higher over a few days

5. Apollo

Apollo

Hello Hawkvr and welcome to MASA.Firstly , I'm going to assume that you have an existing setup that has already cycled.Can you tell us a bit more about your tank please and post a pic of what the Mushroom rock looks like.Please post your water parameters as well.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Hawk - A very warm welcome to MASA. As this has been asked already - I just want to reiterate: Please supply us with ALL your actual water chemistry parameter measurements (ie. temp, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)...

Also - how old is your tank?

What water flow do you have in the tank? Mushrooms don't like to strong water flow....

What else might have changed in your tank?

7. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Although mushrooms are considered hardy once settled they do not ship well at least the ones i`ve seen recently appear to struggle to adapt. Keep them in low flow, low light area and if they have started `leaving` their rock then probably most or all of them will as well. Not doom and gloom tho as they will most likely attach to other rocks in time. Adding iodine can help.

8. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

a start

Thanks for all the replys guys. I did not get a chance to take pics last night as my Dog is ill :( I have a 450 litre tank. I posted it on the site a few months back. The mushrooms are on the bottom of the tank. Waterflow might be too strong i will try moving them. My ph is at 8.0 Temp: 27c ammonia: 0 nitrites: 0
    I have had my tank for about 12 months. I have a skimmer and refugium. Here are the pics from a last post Just a note on some changes i have made.3rd pic of the refugium is completely different. I took your advice and got rid of the wooden board its on. And the piping The new one rests on the cabinet floor now and is bigger. I will post pics as soon as i can of the new one. I also got a new powerhead. Its a double head and i think it has made an improvement. My tube worms have been living longer now and more growth in the tank with the better waterflow. I have never heard of the iodine. How does that work and what should i do with it. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jacquesb

Hi Hawk - I would rather point that powerhead upwards, slightly towards the water's surface, rather than directly at the life rock. None of the lifestock likes getting blasted with a direct water stream - rather indirect water movement.... this might also be why the mushrooms does not seem happy.

You can get commercial aquarium iodine, or perhaps look at getting Lugol's Iodine at a chemist - the Lugol's iodine, you will have to dilute, at least 1 to 5 or even 1 to 10 (with fresh RO filtered water)....

Then dose only about 10ml at a time - once a day, for now...

10. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

what does it do

Thanks what does the iodine do ?

11. shrimp

shrimp

What is your CA + KH ??
    How often do you do water changes, and how big ?
    Also do u target feed your shrooms ?
    Advise above is spot on ...

12. NeilSmit

NeilSmit

Hi Hawk, mushrooms are hardy, they just hate strong flow, try to put them in a no flow or close to no flow area.

13. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

I do 100Litre water changes every 2 to 3 months. I dont target feed the shrooms. I did not know i had to. From what i learnt they live off light. I also feed filter food every second day. Will have to check my CA and KH. So i just mix the iodine and put it in the water. thats it? What is it supposed to do though ?

14. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

Pics

Here are the pics of the shrooms and the New refugium. I have moved the shrooms out of the main flow and moved the power heads to face upward now. What are the
    green stems on the shrooms and why do the shrooms secret a liquid every now and again?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hill

Hill

What wattage are the lights?

16. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

Lights are 54 watts

17. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Those `stems` are a kind of sponge i think, nothing to do with the shrooms themselves.

18. jacquesb

Hi Hawk - the iodine is a natural component of seawater. BUT skimming and activated carbon is believed to remove the iodine from the water..... As does macro algae...

Adding some iodine back into the water, should also feed the corralimorph mushrooms - that they can return back to health....

Corrallimorph mushrooms are part coral, part anemone. Anemone's also benefit hugely from the addition of iodine to the water....

19. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

Great thats helps and explains a lot. Could you tell me the coral behind the shrooms in the pic. It is covered in algea. Why would it do that and is there any point leaving it in the tank. Is it not just dying?

Thanks

20. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

whats ur salt salanity... that can be the issue..

21. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

It is a coral skeleton, long dead i`m afraid, just take it out unless you like its shape.

Recent Posts