Assorted Coral

Reaction score
I normally only buy things that I am looking for, but made an exception for this coral. Found the structure and colour fascinating.

Only species that I can see any similarities to is Favites, but there is very little separation/distinction between the individual polyps.

I bit worried about the bits that looks like they are receding, but it has firmed up nicely and got significant thicker and looks like it is moving to reclaim the skeleton.

?

Here is is at day.

unknowblowcoral23072008.jpg

Here at night under blue light.

unknowblowcoralatnight23072008.jpg

I have collected these before in plain green and brown and multi coulored,dont let anay thing touch it they sting as bad as a hydnor.

026_26.jpg

Yip, it is the same.

The ridges is also now much more prominent.

Here is the placement. I did not epoxy the pedestal is grew on, but let it lay on one edge and the the pedestal. Will this be OK, will it adapt to the edge touching the LR?

The green star polyp is approaching it, but it should keep it from growing over it, and as far as I know, GSP do not sting?

The frog is much higher and so far has not send any sweepers down, mushrooms should be the same as the GSP?

elephantnose28072008.jpg

Last edited:
Yip, it is the same.

the green star polyp is approaching it, bu it should keep it from growing over it, and as far as I know, GSP do not sting?

Be Careful, those GSP you have are very aggressive and will take on any coral in turf war

Be Careful, those GSP you have are very aggressive and will take on any coral in turf war

What is the best way to restrict them from growing into/onto a specific area?

I want them to grow down and on the top of the LR. What do I do when they get out of hand?

Difficult one, they not like a plant which you can "trim". You may have to move the actual rock around. Remember this coral is embedded into it's base rock.

Difficult one, they not like a plant which you can "trim". You may have to move the actual rock around. Remember this coral is embedded into it's base rock.

Had to Epoxy the rock with the GSP onto the LR to get the vertical position, so it is stuck there.

Spruce recommend brushing it with stiff brush, worried what it will do to my water quality.

Was thinking about cutting and scraping it once it get to the limit of where I want to allow it to grow, or "prune" it with an elegance coral :whistling: ?

Len you can get a blade and "trim" the encrusting GSP off of rock its invading - thats how guys make GSP frags :)

I have seen the scraping work with some sucess, but that particular GSP, grows like weed.

I have heard the galaxy coral will take them out, but it will take out any other coral within in a 250mm radius of the coral itself :whistling:

GSP

Hi

I have checked GSP out in my book collection. They don't sting, but overgrow. A stinging coral like the elephant nose should keep them in place, I have found photo's of them completely covering a rock with a perfect round circle around a more aggressive coral.

They seam to survive a confrontation fine, without causing damage to their opponent.

Some mushrooms keep the in check, but in general the GPS will win against a mushroom.

Cutting and scraping is the only way of controlling them. They are also good canaries, and will be the first coral to show stress when water quality goes down.

Like them, so will dedicate a large portion of the rock to them, may have to move some of the mushrooms later.

Back
Top Bottom