Ask the Audience: Nano Cubes?

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Pads, 29 Oct 2010.

1. Pads

Pads

I'd like to ask the audience on this one. Its not often you hear someone say they've got too much time on their hands, but here I am. I've always admired a small colourful Nano Cube. Although you don't get to stock with the larger species its convenience and compact design make it attractive.

What are the things you consider to be important on your nano and what would you like done better.

So far I've come up with a 500 x 500 x 500 cube, with a skinny overflow and some returns doubling as the CLS, if you will. I'd guess 1 x 150w MH with some Blue LED's for colour enhancement. Recirc Skimmer plumbed off the overflow into a return and back.

The efficacy of a DSB in such a small area concerns me and thus I'm leaning towards a great emphasis on water changes. Yes they are tedious and irritating but inevitabily the best way of nutrient export. A scrubber is another option but is the trade off in the amount of evaporation/top ups vs buying/mixing Salt really all the different, benefit of the salt is a refreshing of the calcium/alk etc.

Any advise would be greatly valued. :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

total water volume <150 i would say a 15L water change a week will take u less than 15 minutes. in terms of that size system i would say MP10 for flow, go with the 150mh, orca 80 re circ skimmer, phosban or reef octo hob reactor running rowa since its such a small system 1 tub should last a loooong time, 10 to 15kg lr and suger fine araganite stocked with montis and digis will look awesome

4. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Yip that would look pretty sweet. I'm angling for the Water change method rather than all the reactors. Skimmer for sure!

My thoughts were on a mixed LPS, sofies reef as the coral movement in the current would give the added illusion that there is more going on in the tank. Naturally with all the tangs out it may look a little still.

My thought exactly on the Arag, I've got reggies in my current tank and if that stuff gets between the mag cleaner and the glass. Well we all know that result.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

150L without sump volume. Not totally a Nano anymore.

Issues are space... space... space. All those toys. Need to be very clever to pack everything into the cabinet around and above the sump.

But it sounds like a wonderfull size cube. Other limiting factor is the type of fish you can have. No Tangs and other that needs some swimming distance. Clowns, dottybacks small gobies etc should be ok.

6. Smithers

Smithers

Going for something similar at the moment 600x450x600 with sugar fine aragonite. If you can make a small DSB/fuge in the sump then go for it.
    Having a 10x10x15 cm dsb will be better than having nothing (well I think so anyway!)

Most of your equipment could technically be hang on (skimmer, phos/carbon etc) to save some space in your sump.
    But saying that space is always a limiting factor if you want to get all the gadgets.
    Last thing you want is a tank with crap all around it as it looks awful and becomes the focal anchor instead of the tank.

The idea of a closed loop is great, nice way to get that extra flow and not to have some bulky pump in the way. I'm rather partial to the Haliea as a CLS pump as the spares are really easy to get.

7. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

With my dimensions and the water level at 480, I'm looking at 120l which is sorta out of the nano range but I think the fact that everything is so compact makes its a nano. I suppose its debatible. Would definately go with a royal gramma, flame angel and a flame gobie and chromis.

Yeah, was thinking about running the cls returns through the steel tube frame as I'd want it coming into the tank in the corners. I'll need to do a proper sketch up for ya. I just can't afford to have all the equipement exposed. It must be a work of art. Sump will host the skimmer, maybe a Denitrator and if push comes to shove a Phosphate reactor.

What rating is you Haliea and wattage?

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

yes a couple softies and lps will be awesome. I would shy away from the CLS haleia pump as they pull power and will heat the water. Rather spend the bucks and get the Vortech MP10 its small enough to not be obtrusive and u can position it almost anywhere in the tank, plus u get the wave motion for the softies. The skimmer is small and so is the reactor which can hang on the sump,

9. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Yeah like that idea apart from the price. It does have all the amazing features that would make the reef look stunning, I'll need to see what the local price is.

I reckon the sump will be 3 chambers for skimmer and the other reactors. Ain't nothing hanging out of anywhere. :lol:

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

leka leka, local price i last checked was 3155 - just remember the electricity you will be saving as its only 18W max(remember not running at that 100%), A proper cls pump will use at least 65W to 100W(eheim, sicce or bubble blaster - all costly pumps) as you will need something with a strong head if you go haleia you will use 100W for the 2880Lph pump and 200W for the 5440 Lph pump

11. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

True, the controllability and the reduced wattage are big +++, R3155, eish!
    I'll start saving now. Bubble blaster HY series are low wattage but also heavy on the price, and you can't control it.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would rather go with Seio or Vortech. On this tank size the unit will almost be in same price as Bubbleblaster. It got a controller, easier to re-position and a lot better on power consumption.

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

yup, I have never seen a return pump that can be controlled to ramp up and down continuously.

14. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Cool, thx for the info. I'll have a look around. :thumbup:

Recent Posts