Ashraf's window reef (Take 2)

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by amalick, 24 Apr 2011.

1. amalick

amalick

Its time to start a new thread to chronical my new build. My existing system has been stable for quite some time now (thanks to luck, patience and most of all MASA:yeahdude:) so I guess that means its time to start a new one. (or at least another one)

So here goes. The new build will be a FOWLR system so that I can keep the non-reef stuff that I so long for and cannot keep in my existing setup fo obvious reasons.

THe new build will be plumbed into the existing systems engin room, but more on that later.

The new build dimensions are probably going to be 1700mm(l) x 900mm (h) x 750mm (w). Its will be housed in a specially built aluminium frame fish room extension to my house and have a window facing design into a dining room inside my house. (much like my existing build faces my lounge).

I'm hoping to have starfire glass for the front glass and to learn from some of the things I should have done differently on my existing tank design.

Anyway - Here are some pics of the location and purpose built fish tank room being built today to get things started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

awesome

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Cool Ashraf good to see you starting the new build. will keep an eye on this one. Good Luck buddy:thumbup:

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Looks like an epic build! :)

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Awesome .... Dimensions sound great but could you not get 10cm's more on the length ... Makes it easier especially for light fixtures .... and almost a meter deep? How you get to the bottom front of the tank if need be (the one facing the dining room) I would suggest making a model out of 4x2's rafter plank (just the frame of the tank dimensions) and putting it into position and try getting to all parts of the tank .... Even if there's no corals you still might need to gain access to all parts of the tank ..... And are you going to let natural light through or tinting the windows?All the best with this build .... Also building the plank model tank will help show you the best way to get it into the aluminium cage or are you building it inside the room ... If thats a standard alu door than might be a little narrow to get your tank through .... Just a few things to consider .....

7. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Nah, Unfortunatley Im governed by the existing window frames length.

I'm thinking about reducing the depth to 800, that way I can get my arm to the bottom of the tank if I stand on a ladder.

All the window frames on the alu structure will be filled with 6mm Nutec cement board (will post a pic a bit later), so no natural light will not enter into the room at all. I'm doing this to avoid heat build up and negative algea concequences. I'm am however thinking about having a tubular skylight installed above the tank, but i wasnt sure if there would be any negative effects ?

The tank will be put into position via the existing window frame (facing the dining room), so the door will not be a problem.

8. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Its raining in Cape Town, so progress is very slow. Updated pic with Nutec board fitted. The boards still need to be treated and painted to match the house colour and the guttering and other odds as well etc.. , but I guess thats not gonna happen because of the rain. I think I need to take a break now Shooo!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Apr 2011
  9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Lol Ashraf excuses excuses it hasn't rain since early this morning!!!!! Nice progress btw.

10. Falcon

Falcon

Nice start amalick!

Any more progress so far?

I would put the skylight in,a tang or two will take care of any algae growth and with the skylight your electricity bills can come down a bit.only will need a little blue light during the day and some white lights set to switch on at night only.

since its fish only you wont need much anyway.

11. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Quick update

The new tank room is 95% complete and I checked with the tank builders who feel that my tank is about 6 weeks away from being ready.

1) Glass has been cut and is going to be polished in the week
    2) Stand is built but still needs to be galvanized.

Final dimension are 1700(l) x 850(h) x 750 (w) with 19mm glass. Only the front pane will be starfire. I know that its high, but aesthetically I need the height. I guess I will have to get shoulder deep if I want to do additional aquascaping once its filled. The plan however is to do the aquascaping with base rock while the tank is empty.

Tomorrow I screed the floor and level things out. I also decided to try out a new cork tile flooring system.

Its late now so I will take pics tomorrow.

All in all I feel that I'm about two months away from joint plumbing to my existing setup. Lots of work to do, but thats the hole point of the project. LEKKER LEKKER :yeahdude:

PS : I've decided against the skylight after some more research, but mostly because in the winter season I'm not going to have the light I want.

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  12. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

On second thought, I think the Skylight is back on the table:blush:. I just need to figure out how to diffuse the light properly (from a UV perspective) or shut it out completely if I experience an "algae" bloom of soughts.

I guess we all need to consider "going green" or the environment that we should all be passionate about as reefers anyway.;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Will you be happy with using the skylight & the amount of light the tank receives? Have you given LED lighting a thought? Both would be energy saving but 1 tiny obstruction, you can't switch the sun on or off if you want to view or show off your tank in the evenings. As a DIY guy why not build an LED light unit? There are some powerful LED's on the market which would draw less electricity than your existing light on your DT. just a thought. Anyway got anymore info on this cork tiling?

14. seank

seank

Man oh man, this is going to be one awesome setup

15. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Update time

Thanks to voters day I managed to get a few odds and ends done today.

A quick pic of the build in relation to my existing setup. Its quite a distance away so its out of perspective in terms of size.

[​IMG]

Some exterior shots now that the paneling of the new fish room is complete and painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the room, still waiting for the stand of course
    [​IMG]

An lastly the shutter board prep work for the cladding that will follow once the tank is in place

[​IMG]

16. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

im loving that height

17. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I may be a DIY guy, but this LED lighting thing has got me completely confused. I saw some great powerfull ones at a retailer a few weeks ago trading for about R500 each. They were super bright spots and had built in heat sinks. But i'm clueless.

The cork tile idea turned out to be a failure. I'm probably going to ask you to come over for a cupa over the weekend (to discuss our joint rock building project :yeahdude:)and you will see what I mean.

18. Falcon

Falcon

If its for a fish only tank then as long as you have enough to see the fish to your hearts content then its perfect!for corals i would suggest you research properly and get something efficient like a cree diy system as they have good lumens per watt.

Those ones at the retailer could work for a fish only system if you can achieve the spread and colour you want.

Either way,whether its LED or t5 or mh i still suggest you natural light and supplement with additional lighting that you can switch on only during evening hours.

LED also uses power, its not like 20w of LED will replace a 150w mh lol:lol::lol: people sometime get carried away....only around 100w of HIGH POWER CREE LED's will replace a 150w mh properly.

Last edited: 19 May 2011
  19. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Cool no problem will be looking forward on that project.:thumbup:

20. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Automatic Light Riser

Despite having a bit of a cold I managed to tackle a project ive always wanted to try this afternoon. I managed to create a semi-automatic light riser using a set of pulleys, canter levers and cables. Its semi automatic because I have to pull a lever to raise and lower the lights. Next step would be to get some sort of an electric motor to do the work, but I leave that for another day.

I'm very proud of this, because despite it looking so simple now that its done, it really stretched my engineering creativity. Some parts had me stumped for a few hours. Now this is why I started my new build. Lekker Lekker Lekker :yeahdude:

Anyway here are some pics and a short video.

Pic of lights in the raised position
    [​IMG]

Pic of the lights in the lowered position
    [​IMG]

And finally a small video clip of it working

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  21. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I like that nicely done Ashraf, Well Done looks leka boet. BTW hows your flu coming on? lol I've been itching to do something on the rock project but didn't want you to loose out on the fun so I left it for now.

Recent Posts