Ashraf's window into the reef

Reaction score
Right - I am putting the past behind me (cracks, leaks, high nitrates etc) and chalked it all up to learning. To that end i'm starting a new thread to chronical NEW progress- Sorry for the short essay, but its kinda helping me remember as well.

I've ordered the new tank. 2,1m x 550 wide x 700 high which is about 200 litres more than my existing setup. I also ordered a new galvanised square tubing metal stand. All this should arive on Tuesday next week.

-It will have a central overflow chamber
-I will have a 40mm layer of seachem pearl beach aregonite on the base of the DT (Ouch - THis really emptied the wallet)
- The tank will now be in my lounge, with something like a window with the engine room behind it in another room.
- The engine room is an adjacent spare room 4m x 5m, I can do anything I want here, no restrictions
- I will buy a new 2000l speced Reef Octopus External Skimmer later today.
- I'm planning a new sump 1,2m x 450 x 450
- I will retain my existing remote DSB/Algea Scrubber combo.
- my Existing sump will later be converted into 2 chambers 1 chamber as RO Resevior and the 2nd as a 120l QT.
- I plan on using egg crate (or somthing similar) with little plastic pipe stands to elevate my aquascaping above the aregonite
- I am also planning to plumb pipes to 2 x 1500lph power heads. THe pipes will have holes drilled in them between the eggcrate and aregoniite to move detris out from beneath the aquascaping
- Later this evening I will buy about 20kg's of well cured Fiji LR and continue the curing in a temporary 100l platic container. THis will suppliment my existing 20kg's of LR
- I will start the electrics later, but I know that I will have a dedicated Distribution board. I will also have many new multiplug adaptors so that each piece of equipment will have its own plug. In addition each and every single item will have its own switch. I will also only use suffix as apposed to twin flex/rip cord that i used before.
- All conector blocks or anything electrical will either be in ecotubing or dedicated plastic boxes.

Most of the above are just a few things I have learnt on this forum that I swore I would do differrently if I had the chance to start agin.

THe new system will be connected/plumbed to my old system to mature and equalise the playing field so to speak for as long as I can (+/- 6 weeks). Of course if distater strikes I may just have to big bang move everything at once (touch wood this doesnt happen).

Great amalick. glad to hear you took our advice:thumbup: but you will be well pleased with the new start believe me, there are a lot of things i know now when i didnt know when i first started. so i hope this goes smoothly for you:peroni:

awesome setup :)

your sump is the size of my DT :)

I'll definately be helping you ashraf ... this one is gonna be the shizz .. patience and planning is the key ....

Egg crate platform

Got some egg crate from northern aquatics bothasig. If I undertsand this correctly I basicaly cut short pieces of 15mm pvc pipe into little feet which I then glue with PVC weld onto the egg crate to create a platform. Right ?

I also, based on Jaques advice
- modified the tank build to allow for a "coast to coast" overflow system. My goodness I got a "skrik" when I saw how big tank is. Its so different when you see it in the flesh compared to writting down dimensions on a peice of paper.
- raise the stand to be 900mm for a better viewing angle.

Now to go and cut a 2,1m x 650 hole in my lounge wall. Better send the wife out shopping or something LOL

I'm beng really doff

I just sat for a few minutes to plan everything out and realized that their is in fact no reason for me to move my existing engine room at all. If I more permanently plumb the new tank back to the old engine room then bobs your uncle. All skimming, chilling, remote DSB, Quarintine, RO and other reactor stuff can just stay where they are.

In that way my new setup will be up and running in no time. It will start out as old tank + new tank sharing the same sump. Then eventually I will just disconect the old (leaking tank) completely and whala all done:)

So maybe the planned new electrics wont be as neat in the old engine room but the ones close to the new DT can be done that way.

Can anyone think of a good reason for me to redo my entire old engine room now or in fact ever ?

Can anyone think of a good reason for me to redo my entire old engine room now or in fact ever ?

I can think of a few reasons for you to use the old engine room... firstly more time to drink :peroni: and less time messing about.

Seriously though, get your new tank up and running that is why we are in this hobby, to enjoy the tank, then when you are up to it, refurb the power plant.

-I will have a 40mm layer of seachem pearl beach aregonite on the base of the DT (Ouch - THis really emptied the wallet)
-
:thumbup: Its almost a crime to recommend the best online, and so few do. You have a great adviser behind the scenes. Expensive it may be, but the long term benefits of using the Real McCoy are priceless. Money well spent IMO. :leaving:

Some great rock as well. Congrats.

I agree 10000% Ashraf! Use your old engine room! Just do some extended plumbing!

The extended plumbing will be about
1) 4m of 40mm PVC pipe + about 10 x 90degree 40mm PVC bends for the return flow to the old sump in the old engine room.
2) 4m of 20mm pipe to feed the new tank from the old sump with a similar amount of 90deg bends.

All of this hidden behind walls and stuff. Now its really starting to look simple. Best part is that I can actually start on all of this before the new tank comes. COOOOL:razz:

Been cutting dry wall for the past hour for the new DT window - it makes one hell of a mess, but certainly beats breaking through brick with a grinder and stuff.

The wife doesn't seem pleased:nono:. But funny how they are the ones that show of when everything is finished;). Will take some pics tommorrow when the DT window cutting is finished.

sounds good, lets see the pics when u can

PVC Electrical Conduit Piping

Can I use normal 20mm Electrical PVC conduit to create the feet for my egg crate LR platforms. I saw a thread that suggests the PVC is weak and will perrish. My concern is LR weight. But with short feet say 8cm surely they will be quite sturdy.

I dont really want the blue pipes spoiling the show of my aregonite

Secondly, can I create the closed loop in tank pipe work that I am planning to blow the detris out between the Eggcrate and Aregonite from the Electrical Conduit as well. Again this is a "look and feel" issue. I like the white.

Back
Top Bottom