Ashraf's window into the reef

I would start with a 20%water change, more if possible.

Buffer will not permanently restore pH. Try keep the pH at 8. give or take .2

If i had a pH of 7.5 i would look for something big that had died. But in your case the changes could have strirred things up a bit starving the tank of oxygen, causing the pH to drop. This could also be the cause of the algae issue. A drop in pH, as much as this could also release phosphates. Surprised about the drop in phos

1) I'm not with you Sunburst - "Starving the tank of oxygen ?". How did I do this?.

2) I also have a Langebaan black mussle on top of my DSB - Cant really tell if its dead ? - Should I just remove it.

I also forgot to clean the Algae scruuber for about a week (given all my stress about the leak) and it was thick with growth. Could this also be a potential source of the GHA problem ?

JB i think 50 grams would be about 15 teaspoons. Do you not mean 5 grams
LOL Sunburst....
Yeah - you right! :)

Sorry Ashraf - I meant 2 TABLE spoons - how many grams (+-) in 2 table spoons? 30 grams? ( I think there's +- 15 grams per table spoon)? Right?

1) I'm not with you Sunburst - "Starving the tank of oxygen ?". How did I do this?.
Apologies. Rephrase. When something dyes bacteria goes dilly trying to break down all this waste. This removes oxygen from the water which causes the pH to drop.

Ag okes :p- Leave the maths for another day - I'm going with my Cape Coral Care product anyway.

For what its worth a tablespoon is 15grams. I know this from over medicating my kid with something a few years ago (which had them bouncing off the walls LOL).

Apologies. Rephrase. When something dyes bacteria goes dilly trying to break down all this waste. This removes oxygen from the water which causes the pH to drop.

Much better - Now we speaking english again LOL:yeahdude:. For a moment there I thought I was a noob all over again :pLOL.

I would imagine a heaped teaspoon being 5g maybe less. I would not go more than 2 teaspoons at a go. Not sure what the bottled instructions state, but would be interested to know.

Cape Coral Care

Cape Coral care recommends one teaspoon for every 100l of water mixed into a glass of RO water. In addition on aquariums larger than 300l they suggest a maximum of 3 teaspoons per glass.

1392495930daad1fc.jpg

Thanks. Sounds good.

In emergencies the slurry method can also be useful for the addition of alkalinity and calcium.

The addition of buffer on its own will quickly push your water chemistry out of kilter. It should be used imo to correct imbalances. Calcium and alkalinity are consumed more or less at the same rate, and thats how they should be replaced.. Saying that i have found that carbonates do need tweaking every so often. Once the balance has been re-established you should revert back to a balanced form of dosing

Aregonite Shortage

Hi Guys - I'm really battling to find enough aregonite in Cape Town. I need 90kg's and so far I only managed to source 40kg's. I was thinking of going half play sand (with plastic mosquito netting on top) and then half aregonite.

I will then use the huge!! cost saving to purchase more live rock.

1) Will this plan undermine the hole point of aregonite or will I still get benefits from the half layer.
2) Are there any issues with the mosquito netting part of the plan ?

Hi Ashraf - no - it won't undermine the idea of using aragonite.
And yes - I would NOT place mosquito netting between the layers... just place the bottom layer of playsand, and the aragonite on top...

And yes - I would NOT place mosquito netting between the layers... just place the bottom layer of playsand, and the aragonite on top...

No No - I WANT to place the mosquito netting between the two substrates to prevent the mixing of my "rather expensive" aregonite with the "cheap" playsand.
This mixing is inevitable over time if the substrate gets disturbed for any reason.

What I want to know is if this would be a bad idea for any reason? The plastic mosquito netting is rather porous and since it will be below the 2cm aregonite layer I dont think that any detris will get trapped in it. So IMHO i think the bacteria benefits will still be there without this risk of spoiling the LOOK of the aregonite.

I did this with my current tank. 10kg playsand and about 8kg aragonite. You dont notice the difference much if they do mix.

Thanks Keyaam - I am still interested to know if anyone thinks that the mosquito net is a bad idea and if so why?

Should work, but you have to make sure it is totally secure, imagine a wrasse getting caught underneath.

Don't see how it would trap any detritus if it is buried.

Thanks Keyaam - I am still interested to know if anyone thinks that the mosquito net is a bad idea and if so why?

if you read the garf.org site, u see he creates his plenums using this, so i would say its totally safe, provided its plastic

Thanks guys - Feeling a lot more confident:yeahdude:

Now I just need to be patient for the tank to arrive. Looks like Tuesday is the day!!
In the meantime i'm moving my MH lighting from the old tank (also trying to control a GHA outburst during all of this) and preparing as much of the electrics and remote plumbing as I can on the new tank. Will take some pics of progress 2morow.

Progress Report

Finished building the tank window frame and the surrounding cupboards. Also fitted the MH lights an T8 moonlights. Electrics also fed from DB board so that the tank has its own independent circut breaker.

Autocad drawing of cupboards. Its will have a curtain rail behind the tank. THe curtain will serve as the background. It will be blue. THe height of the sides are 2,4m because I will host 2x Surge Devices inside the cupboards. One on either side.. devices
139249849d27a2f1e.jpg

Front View of varnished frame..
139249849d60e6708.jpg

Rear view - very diffuclt to get a full pic because of the size and inabality to stand far away..

139249849d3900211.jpg

Back
Top Bottom