Arrow crab died & DSB

Reaction score
My arrow crab died this morning. I gave him hake, but the water temperature was 22°C this morning. The hermad crabs was back in their shells. The sg was 1.027.
My 1 heater was not working. I run a 3ft tank, 2 ft DSB and 3ft sump.

I did my regular weekly water changes this morning and all the mushrooms, hermad crabs, snail and cleaner shrimp is fine. The temp is back at 26°C.

What could be the course of his death?

Secondly please comment on my DSB and sytem. It is running for 3 weeks and there is no sign of activity. I know it can take 6 months but am I on the right track. I used playsand 160mm deep.

Here is some pics

144649b3c67a3d9d8.jpg

144649b3c67a44efa.jpg

144649b3c67a4df7c.jpg

144649b3c7296ead0.jpg

Really sorry to hear, Freek!

Never nice to loose live stock.

How long have your tank been cycling for? a SG/salinity of 1.027 is a little bit high...
A temp of 22 is not bad by itself, BUT, a sudden drop/or rise in temperature, can kill a LOT of marine life stock!

Everything else looks GREAT in your tank. BUT, your DSB still looks like it needs to mature a bit.

What are your other water parameters, Freek? Exact readings, please? ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity?

The tank is running for about 3 months but DSB only 3 weeks.

After the water change :

PH 8.3
Nitates 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphates 0

I changed the sg by diluting with ro water. SG now is 1.024

Unfortunatly, most of the test is via test stick. Better testing equipment is part of the setting up.

OK - cool! everything else sounds good, Freek. All I can contribute this to, is to the sudden drop in temperature, and perhaps high SG/salinity.

Another thing - how long have you had the arrow crab and hermits for?

About 3 months ago. My first change was the sump on top. About 2 months ago I change to current layout. Never had a problem on this setup and the previous setup. The nearest Marine Petshop is Jhb about 150km away. That is why I must do things slowly.

Stunning top piece of LR!!! Hows about a trade? One gorilla crab for that piece of LR?

nice setup freek.....

next time you in JHB let me know and you can get a small cup of my dsb to help seed youd DSB....

Why was your SG so high Freek? You do top up evaporated water with RO water only and not salt water right?

Yes, I top-up with RO and water changes with salt water. My evaporation is high. There is a lot of salt built-up on the spreader bar of the DSB. I tried to cover the tanks but condensate is the a problem.

Back
Top Bottom