Argh! Stupid sponges!

Reaction score
Ok, I just discovered the probably source of my algae and diatom growth!

Anyway, I bought some eggcrate, so I thought i'd make a platform to hold filter floss entering the rear chambers, as well as a something to elevate the liverock rubble in the rear chamber.

Anyway, I found a 3rd sponge (*edit to avoid confusion - a factory made sponge, not the squeegee sea ones!) all the way at the bottom of the one rear chamber! So annoyed I didn't see it before. Pulled it out and it threw detritus up into the display :(

Would this have been the source of my algae and diatom woes?

Last edited:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it, sponges are free clean up crew members, harmless good guys that filter your tank water.

Reaction score
lol - no I mean the black factory type ;) a nasty sponge clogged up with detritus! ;)

Reaction score
lol - no I mean the black factory type ;) a nasty sponge clogged up with detritus! ;)
On the money there, with your clinical husbandry, that is the source, not your substrate. glad you found it, I know you have been pulling your hair out ;)

Reaction score
Warr: I'm so glad too. Just couldn't understand I even put in 5000l/h in a 130L nano to get rid of the prob hehe. Well lets hope this is the end of it?

Reaction score
Warr: I'm so glad too. Just couldn't understand I even put in 5000l/h in a 130L nano to get rid of the prob hehe. Well lets hope this is the end of it?
I have faith, oh young nano pada-wan :p

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Yip, pretty sure that would have been releasing a few nasties into the water, give it a few days and see what happens.

Reaction score
Haha. Nice. Well now that i've busted that sucker i'm hoping the substrate will return to its pearly whiteness...

Noticed a bit of detritus on the LR rubble as well, might just take it out weekly for a rinse, OR put a little fuge light in there and grow some chaeto

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed your comment was extremely accurate as well as perfectly articulated. Maybe you should become an english prof? ;)

Probably a good idea, i could teach you lot how to speak and write the mother tongue:razz: