Are we killing off too much LR during a cycle.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 21 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

Most people buy the required amount of LR, place in tank and let it cycle for 6 weeks.

say we need 100kilos in the tank,
    is it not better to say start off with only 50kilos, let it cycle for 6-8 weeks, and then add 10 more kilos, for say a month, then another 10 kilos every 4 weeks till we got our 100 kilos in the tank.

I was thinking that we place it all in the tank, and how much dies in the intial cycles, which we could save if we placing in a semi established tank that has been trough all the initial cycles. Do we not loose too much beneficial bacteria in our live rock by placing it all at once, when we could save more bacteria by staggering it. I know it will take 6 months, but this is the game of reefkeeping, patience?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Curvball

Curvball

Interesting point.

But don't forget, these days one only needs to use the amount of LR you need just for your aquascaping - the X amount of LR per X amount of water thinking is a little old especially as skimmer tehcnology continues to advance. For some systems such as those using ZEOvit, you don't actually need any LR.

Technically I should be using close to 10kg's of LR in my nano, but I'm using only 2kg's ;)

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I dont believe there will be any saving on the die off

the bacteria etc dies off not so much because of the introduction into a virgin system, but more from the collection process, the transportation process etc ..... IMO once it gets into your tank it starts to recover .... the die off is just the bacteria etc that has already died showing itself .... much in the same way an animal starts to smell only when it is decomposing

just my 2c worth

5. BELL

BELL

How much LR do i need for a 300l tank then..

6. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I think that it would help your LR maintain a better population of life, although as Niel said most is already dead when you put it in. It will save some more though that are then able to survive the recovery process better.

Recent Posts