Are these necessary

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by mala1610, 5 Dec 2012.

1. mala1610

mala1610

Hi guys I'm upgrading my sump and refu would like to get your advise on the following before I play around with designs : is it ok to only have a good protein skimmer or are all the other mechanical things necessary to have eg, Kalk, carbon etc I have a full reef tank 600L DT what is the main must haves in a sump? Thanks for your help :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Oh sorry and is an Algea scrubber worth putting in?

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

5. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

maybe a phosphate and or carbon reactor. But with no anemones and other chemically warfare inclined corals the carbon might not be needed.

Kalkwasser stirrer, only needed item possibly needed, to keep calcium up, and your PH up.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I would say a kalk stirrer, a doser for Ca and any other thing you would like to dose, like seachem fuel etc, you could use a Calcium reactor, but because your Ca demands are not as high as a sps system, I don;t think you should go this route. An auto top up will be a good idea.
    In terms of an algae scrubber, I am no expert, as I use orca bio cubes to keep my nutrients low and I don't like a very complicated sump (not that you would say that if you look at mine :blush:) so I have no deep sand bed or phosphate reactors. I do run ozone, and a carbon reactor.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I'm running a 4ft tank with a couple of LPS and soft corals, about 17 anemone's, a shallow substrate and minimal live rock, in my sump I have 2 or 3 pieces of live rock and a skimmer, that's it. ;) Oh, and a heater.

My personal opinion, it's not necessary to spend thousands on all this extra hardware, there are much cheaper ways to do it, especially in the beginning, plan for it so that you can add it in the future if you want, but don't buy it unless it's necessary. Rather spend the money on live rock, corals and salt. :)

9. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your advice ! I will put a design together and put it on this thread for advice :thumbup:

10. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

yes Id like to see some of this proof, pictures or it never happened :tt2:

12. seank

seank

No need for kalk stirrer, carbon reactor, calcium reactor, nitrate reactor, algae scrubber, ozone reactor,phosphate reactor or whatever other reactor used in this hobby..... It cost money, it consumes electricity, it is extra maintenance..... Unless you have the moolas to spend and you want your filtertank to look bling bling....
    So many people have given up this hobby because of the cost involved.......
    My opinion: spend the bucks on a good lighting system (that does not consume your monthly paypacket when it comes to electricity bills) and a good Protein Skimmer as well as a couple of superior low wattage 12v pumps for waterflow......

Your life will be easier... You can drip kalk, you can add additives, you can run carbon inside your sump with a filtersock......
    And yes, this is how i run my tank, stocked with LPS, SPS, as well as Soft coral....... I do run filterfloss to keep the water column clean, and i change it every two days...

All the equipment on the market is to make ones life "easier", but does it really? Where does the fun go wrt keeping marines, checking parameters etc..........
    My 2 cents....

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry to mala1610 for hijacking your thread quickly, but l have to answer these non-believers :tt2: I've been doing some propagating over the last couple of years...

002_Custom.JPG

009_Custom.JPG

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

you must have emo nenie's they seem to cut themselves :p

Great job Viper :thumbup:

Recent Posts