Are my fish behaving correctly?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by AntS, 29 Apr 2010.

1. AntS

AntS

I bought a true clown for my new tank about 2 weeks ago, and a royal gramma this week. Both seem healthy except for 1 issue each:

Last night I noticed that the clown seemed to be swimming at the top of the tank with its dorsal fin actually at the surface. It looked like it was trying to swim down again but kept bobbing back up to the surface. After a couple of hours it seemed to be able to swim a bit lower. It still seems happy though, playing in the direct current and swimming to which ever side of the tank I'm on. Could this be an issue of over feeding?

When I bought the royal gramma, it was trying very hard to hide in the rock work in the tank at the LFS. They shook the rock above water to get the fish out, and then had to corner it by the power head, so I imagine it was stressed out.
    Anyway, I know gramma's like to maintain their hiding spot or cave, but mine seems to press its body right up against the rock in funny angles, sometimes on its side and facing straight down. Is this normal?

The inverts and the 1 coral (open brain) in my tank all seem to be thriving, and all my water levels are normal

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi AntS - it seems that your clown MIGHT have problems with it's swim bladder. Just monitor the fish. It can take a while for this to get resolved.

Regarding the royal gramma - this is normal when the fish cannot find another hiding spot. The holes in your rock might be too small, or you might not have big enough holes for the fish to make it's home.....

4. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

Thanks for the help jacques.

Any idea on how the clown could have gotten a swim bladder problem?
    and how long it might take to clear up?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi AntS - hhhmm - good question. I know that some fish live long lives sometimes with swim bladder problems. Other fish - unfortunately die.

When it does clear up - it takes up to a month or 2.....

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

My one clown fish swims close to the surface at the back of the tank when it is sleep time for him. Been doing this for about a year now. Maybe he has a phobia of gorilla crabs hiding in the rocks or something.

7. Riddi

Riddi

I have seen many of the clown fish do this @ LFS. never seen this on an established tank though.

8. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

Yesterday he seemed to be swimming mid tank (+/-), but still bobbing up to the surface.

I really can't tell whether he's just playing, or it's a physical issue :S

In the mean time my fire shrimp is becoming much friendlier :biggrin:

9. robertkukla

robertkukla

he thinks his funny my clown does the same but will go down to the bottom and go back up to play

Recent Posts