Are my clownfish stupid or unhappy?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by ReeferSteve, 2 May 2012.

1. ReeferSteve

ReeferSteve

Hi Guys,

So recently (on Saturday) bought 2 ocellaris clowns for my nano (Fluval edge 23l).
    They weren't in the same tank before, 1 is wild caught (Great Barrier Reef variety) and the other is a black tank bred.
    The wild caught clown is about 4cm tip to tail and the little black one is about 3cm tip to tail.

Ever since I put them in the tank they've just been cruising around the glass, not actually going anywhere near the rock work.

The little black one (black nemo) seems abit more comfortable than the normal (nemo) but isn't looking too happy.

Both clowns are eating just fine, Black Nemo seeming abit more enthusiastic about the marine pellets than Nemo, and both come to the surface to get food when I switch the filter/powerhead off and take off the lid; as per usual brine shrimp is a hit with both.

I also have a green BTA in the tank which the clowns aren't the least interested in atm but I've heard that it sometimes does take a little while for the clowns to host.
    Black nemo was hosting a MASSSIVE magnifica when I bought him, so perhaps he's just confused cause it's alot smaller and green but ya, if time fails to bring them together I'll just print off a picture of clowns hosting an anemone and stick that to the glass :p

So whats going on with my clowns?

Nemo and Black Nemo aren't fighting, but Nemo is occasionally aggro towards BN (slow charge towards) and then BN turns around and does the same thing but nothing too serious (no jaw locking ect ect).

Any advice?
    Below is a picture of how they normally hang out.
    [​IMG]

P.S Ignore tape and dodgy perspex stuff on intake for hang on :p I'm sumping this weekend.

Also, have a crab which may also be scaring the fish? See him chilling on the rocks looking up at night, so he's probably going to find himself coming out sooner rather than later!

P.P.S
    I know clowns are super weird sometimes, but just wanted to make sure :)
    First time keeping Ocellaris (had maroons in my big reef, and they were great and not complicated at all :p )
    Thanks!
    Steve

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi,the way I see it,if they are eating well then there shouldnit be a major issue,the tank bred clown is probably a bit confised for now as to what an anemone really is and the wild caught probably just taking time to adjust (who knows how long it took the clown to adjust and host that other anemone before you bought him) so yeah just give it some time....on another note,I'm guessing the reason that they don't hang around together is they can see that they are different to each other,if both were the same species your luck would probably be a lot better....that's just my opinion,I'm sure you will get more opinions here to solve your problem.

4. Hails

Hails

The two different colours can pair up, but may take some time. The black one may still be young as well. Sure they will eventually decide upon territory and go from there.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Switching from one anemone to another will not happen in a day or two. And it is not to say that they will host in an anemone anyway. Mine does not, and they do not need a anemone to be happy. My old pair is in a nano now without an anemone and they are laying eggs.

Anyway, what light unit do you have there? it does not look if it is capable to sustain an anemone. Definitely not a Magnifica, maybe a Bubble tip as they need less light. Your tank is also way to young to be able to keep an anemone in it. They need more matured systems that is stable. And where you had at least learned how to keep the system stable.

If that anemone decides to find a better place, it will surely be sucked into that pump.

More info please, but as far as i'm concerned, your tank is not the best place for an anemone at the moment.

6. Yuri

Yuri

It is unusual for clowns to stay at the top of a tank
    I have only seen this on 2 occasions
    1. fish have brook and can not breath ( brook attack the gills )
    2. fish is harassed by tank mates only place that the tank mate will not go is the top of the tank

Also if thy are irritated make a cover thy can jump !

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I'm more interested in you rank design... from the pic, it looks like a glass box with just a cut out on the top?? How long has it been running and can you post more pic of it?

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

On the clowns, maybe do a small re-scape or add 2 or 3 pieces of live rock, they probably just getting used to the new environment...

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Looks like one of these Tanks...they really are lovely...guess they need some MODS to convert into Saltwater as I don't think you get them in the Saltwater version...unless the Cabinet is the "sump"...and comes with it...but somehow I don't think so...
    [​IMG]
    Fluval aquariums

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  10. ReeferSteve

ReeferSteve Thread Starter

Ok so thanks for the replies! :D

Just to clarify, they are both Ocellaris clowns, just of different colour morphs.
    Anemone is BTA (E.quadricolor).

Lighting is 16 x 3w Leds (7 10k, 7 RB, 2 UV, total W= 48w) which is plenty, only thing is I'm slowly increasing the power as don't want to bleach anything as found the Zoa's not opening after running at more than 60% on both strings, so currently running blue at about 60% and white just under and coral looking great, no 'reaching' or 'bleaching' or closed unhappy Zoa's so think that I'm increasing the light amount slowly enough.

Concerning system stability:
    All parameters have been constant, with slight increases in Nitrate and Phosphate after addition of new stock (after I added clowns) or feeding, and by slight increases I mean < 5ppm which I combat with single or biweekly water changes (especially after big feed).
    I use algae as a good measure of nitrate/phos and I have no/very little algae thus very little Nitrate/Phosphate.

I have put a temporary 'guard' infront of pump intake so the only way the anemone would be able to get sucked in is if he actually climbed and completely blocked off the intake (ie front, top, bottom and all 3 sides, which he wouldnt be able to do as too small). The guard surrounds the intake with a gap of about 1cm so resultant 'suck' at any one point not strong enough trap it. This is temp fix until I sump the tank this weekend.

@Yuri,
    Hmmm, perhaps but doesn't show any of the symptoms?
    Maybe that stupid crab is scaring them as the clowns are still quite small.

Yip and tank is covered :)

I'm going to get a little more LR today, and see if that fixes the problem.

@belindamotion
    as far as I know, there aren't any SW ready version of the edge, so just gotta mod it :yeahdude:

The little clown seems pretty happy but is also smaller and tank bred, so I'll give the wild caught clown a week to settle down, and if he hasnt, I'll take him back and trade for a normal tank bred ocellaris.
    I'm thinking that being wild caught, perhaps the tank is just too small and he's known better and bigger and thus can't settle in?

Thanks guys!
    Steve

Oh also, oxygenating the tank so can't be that problem.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. ReeferSteve

Another pic,
    [​IMG]
    There is nothing physically wrong with the clown and the water params are spot on.
    I really can't understand the weird behavior.
    Could the frequency of light be bothering the fish?

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

Hey they are called clowns for a reason! Give them time to settle.

13. JDV

JDV

Don’t stress, I got a clown last week it did exactly the same thing last night when I came home it was swimming the whole tank full and exploring. What I have noticed it didn’t like the flow in my tank I have 2 6000l sun sun wave makers I made some adjustments to it and gave the clown time to get used to his new home. You can start worrying when it stops eating. Like Mandarinman says they are called clown for a reason

14. CarlosF

CarlosF

thats a really good looking tank. what do they go for and must did you mod he lihghting

15. ReeferSteve

So brought some hammer frags home today and Nemo decided to host them. Sigh...
    Ok so no more strange behavior other than NOT hosting the anemone right next to the hammer.
    Also, did a massive rescape :)
    Pictures soon to follow!

16. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

:whistling:

17. Mc

Mc

My clown also seems to like the top of my tank, and I also have a bubble tip that he never goes near.
    They don't need to host anything. It is going to be very hard to sustain that anemone in a tank this small long term, it just won't be stable enough.

Its a very good looking tank.
    If I'm correct this tank has a HOB filter in the top compartment, This filter can be modified to suite a marine tank a bit better. I used to run a 30litre tank with a aquaclear HOB filter that looks identical to the HOB in these tanks. My 30L pico finally up and running - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

This guy has a good guide on it. El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010 - Nano-Reef.com Forums

What is in the filter now?
    I would think you will have to run some chemical filteration in there as well.
    Phosgaurd and purigen will probably work well.

18. ReeferSteve

Ya weird hey! I'm definately going to try the picture of clown in a bta to see if I can get them to make a little home of it :)

Thanks! Yip, but going to actually sump the tank this weekend and then run HOB on the sump for chemical and mechanical filtration.

Currently, Carbon, biomedia and sponge :)

19. ReeferSteve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ReeferSteve

So think it looks abit better with this rock work :)

21. Mc

Mc

It looks really good.:thumbup:
    How long has it been running?

Recent Posts