Are lamarcks angel's really reef safe?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Keanan, 10 Oct 2011.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Are lamarck's angel's really reef safe?

Mine is nipping at my brain, thought they suppose to be reef safe?.

[​IMG]

Cropped but cant seem to make it bigger.

[​IMG]

Some polyps of my zoa are also missing, dont know if it him or my regal tank(was nipping at it) or what ever else.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yip, they are, never had an issue with mine, how often feeding? maye there is algae etc on it and he is nipping at that.

its one of 2 that are reef safe

4. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Feedings are twice a day, lots as they greedy buggers. Morning or late morning is flakes and pellets and hake for the picky hawk fish but sometimes he will have some too. The evening is frozen, angel formula, mysis and krill and sometimes pellets. And there is some white sponge on the rocks that he eats as well. Greedy fish.:p O and now and then ill add some nori.

I thought so too but its getting worse.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what other fish are in the tank?

6. Keanan

A regal tang, scopas tang, 2 fire gobies, 6 line wrasse, 2 orange line chromis, 2 clowns and a diamond back goby. also have two shrimps and a arrow crab.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Angle fish are not reef safe. We are lucky that some of the dwarf angels do not take to our corals. But once they take a peck at a brain or softy. They can destroy in a matter of days.

I have a cream angel in my softy tank and he has wiped out the Aiptasia, zoos and mushrooms but at this stage leaves the rest alone. So it is very much individual fish related as to who is reef safe, and not what species of angel fish are reef safe.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  8. Keanan

He is always around it and when I come close to the tank he swims away like he wasn't near it but he is getting brave now, picking at it while I'm watching him. I think he attacked some of my zoa as well, him or the regal.

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Lamarck angels are reef safe NJ they are the ONLY zooplanktivores in the angel fish species making them 100% reef safe.

The problem may come in 2Time in that any fish/invert will peck at a dead/dying life form in your tank be it another fish, coral, invert...what you may have is you open brain is damaged or dying and the fish is sensing this and being opportunistic as they all are...Tangs for example are heribvores, but I have seen them peck at dead or dying corals as well.

The other option is maybe that the angel is nipping at other small critters that you cannot see with the naked eye on or around the coral and not the coral itself.

Difficult marine likes this.
  10. FransSny

FransSny

Inetersting , I have never heard of a Lamarck nipping on corals , you feeding regime looks nice and varied so not that IMHO. As far as I know they are plankton eaters mostly

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

its more than likely the Regal Tang when it comes to zoas...mine took out a lot of my zoas...its why I eventually got rid of him.

12. Keanan

Come to think about it, the brain was not as big and full if I can say that like it was when I got it, and the day after I noticed that the angel started picking at it. I have the brain for a week also, got it the same day I got the lamarcks.

13. Keanan

Me neither, I make sure they get enough to leave my corals alone.:p Thats the only thing that I'm not giving him, ran out and need to get more. But maybe they punishing me because for two days(Friday and Saturday) they only got feed once a day.:p

14. Keanan

Was thinking its the regal, my mother told me she saw the regal nipping at it, but she has been so good, never touched it before. Maybe they getting back at me for being away from them the weekend and only getting food once a day.:lol:

15. chas84

chas84

Your shrimps aren't by any chance "Dancing/Camel Back Shrimps"?

16. Keanan

Nope, I have a blood and a cleaner also forgot to mention that I got a peppermint as well. Made triple sure that it is a peppermint, dont have big pincers and not as bright as the camel back.

17. chas84

chas84

Ok cool. Just btw, the Dancing/Camel back shrimp males have large pincers, and females have smaller ones. I'm just curious because I have two open brains that started "receeding" about a week ago, and eventually found out Camel shrimps aren't reef safe - but they're impossible to take out :) I'll sump them (I have 1 male and 2 femlaes) when I move in two week's time. I found two of the shrimps eating flesh off the brains.

18. Keanan

Thanks didnt know that.:eek: Will check again. I've seen what males have done to some mushrooms before.:eek: But i havent seen the shrimp anywhere near the brain, he hangs out on the other side of the tank coz he is scared of my arrow crab. But if it is a camelback, then I'll forget him in the tank when I get my lion.:whistling:

19. chas84

chas84

I've never kept Peppermint shrimps and after a Google search I see they look very much the same? I thought a Peppermint shrimp doesn't have stripes/makrings :)

Hehe no man rather sump him!

20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

21. Keanan

It is a peppermint that I got, @chas84 the camelback's stripes and color is much brighter than the peppermint.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts