Are all Nano's created equal

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dimi943, 5 Jan 2016.

1. Dimi943

Dimi943

Hi guys.

I'm not a complete newbie to the marine setup but have been out of the game for a couple of years now. I'm looking to get back in but just want to start small, slow and relatively simple for the time being.

I'm interested in purchasing a Nano plug and play tank and would just like some opinions on if indeed this is a good idea to begin with, and if so perhaps discuss some of the pros and cons of the different types out there.

I by no means want to pick a particular brand apart I just want to get the most bang for my buck! Anyway some of the options I have had a look at are the Boyu TL 550 and the Aquaria AM 102? What are some thoughts on these tanks and is there something that I should be looking at that may be a better alternative.

Any input will be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Dimi,
    A couple of marine shops sell their own shop-made systems & packages which you could also look at.

Personally, I am a buyo fan, but I will add that I have had no experience with other brands.

4. 6x9base13

6x9base13

Same as Gesiggie - Boyus were my first foray and I have no real qualms, but that's coming from not having tried any others.

I'm assuming the limitations, space and otherwise are similar to most the plug and plays.

Get the biggest you can is the only suggestion , but then having been in the game you probably know that

tekkengal likes this.
  5. Dimi943

Dimi943 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the input!

6. Apollo

Apollo

Dimi,

Whilst smaller tanks can be very rewarding indeed, you need to bear in mind the following:

• With smaller water volumes , the stability is influenced more so than in larger tanks. This can be overcome, but requires diligence and keen attention to detail on a daily basis.
    • If you elect to go the route of a plug-and-play type Nano system, ensure that you evaluate the skimmer that comes as part of the package. My experience with some of the plug-and-play type setups is that the skimmer are normally underrated or perform poorly due to their cheap construction.
    • In any event, on a small system Water Changes need to become your new best friend. Irrespective of the skimming and other mechanical filtration you have, I would strongly recommend at least 10-15% water changes weekly. ( This does not imply that you can slack off if you have a larger system, but smaller systems need "refreshment" more frequently IMO)
    • Besides for a smaller water volume, the physical space that you have at your disposal in the DT is also smaller. This will limit not only the amount of LR, scaping and additional flow pump placements in the DT, but also places a limitation on the type of fish which you can keep (Common sense should prevail here in terms of choosing livestock). From a practical perspective I have found that whilst you can still create some really nice aquascapes in a small tank, the size of rock used must be carefully evaluated. Great to have a nice aquascape, but not so great if you knock it over every time you put your hands in the DT to do maintenance.:mad:
    • The filtration possibilities offered by most plug-and-play systems are also a little below par IMO. Most of these systems have fairly small fixed compartments ( which normally have poor flow through them), and hence it is difficult to retrofit any additional equipment (e.g. skimmer, reactor etc.)
    • Lighting offered by the plug-and-play type systems can also be questionable sometimes in terms of their useful light output ( Think PAR here and not Lux) Here it pretty much depends on what you want to keep.( e.g. soft corals, hard corals etc.)
    All of the above being said, small tanks can be magical. I absolutely loved my TL450, even though it was more of a love-hate relationship at timeso_O
    Larger systems come with the caveat of increased monthly/quarterly costs (i.e. hardware, salt, additives, RO etc.), but do offer much more flexibility in terms of system design and layout.
    The complexity of systems is something IMO which we as reefers bring upon ourseleves. I have seen some fantastically complex and technologically advanced setups which appear to fair no better than a well maintained simple setup which has been thought through properly. More technology and gadgets is not the answer: You've heard it before - Keep it simple

Good luck, and let us know how you are coming along;)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2016
    tekkengal likes this.
  7. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Best piece of advise.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

All TL550 gets created the same.
    Then they get modified to suit the owners requirements.

Problem with these small systems, is that you only got that much space to work with. The TL550 is a nice start, especially if you can get hold of a good condition second-hand system. Alternative would be small systems with a display of about 250L that have a sump extra. Money wise, the setup would be close to each other. But it does leave you with a lot of extra options as far as bigger and better skimmer etc...

tekkengal likes this.
  9. 6x9base13

6x9base13

I know that feeling ! It's take about a year for me to feel my Tl450 is stable and mature !

Last edited: 6 Jan 2016
  10. Dimi943

Dimi943 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advise! Il definitely take it into consideration when upgrading from a nano. Just as far as nano tanks are concerned does any one have any experience with both the TL 550 vs the AM 102 and what the pros and cons of either are? I can see that the Boyu is by far the most popular worldwide but not sure if the AM 102 is maybe a better buy

11. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

powerlabaquariums
    Just thought I'd throw this out there. I'm looking at one of these for my next tank.

12. RowanG

RowanG

You may want to chek out Yuppie Pets...they have the Infinity Aqua tanks. There is a write up here from one of the members. I got myself the 120, and am seriously enjoying it.

13. superfrog

superfrog

Meh! :tt2:

Best piece of advice. ;)

Recent Posts