Arduino Thread

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by JackSplat, 5 Jan 2014.

1. JackSplat

JackSplat

Hi

It seems there are many members who is interested in building their own DIY Arduino controller's for both LED's, tank control etc.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a sticky thread on this subject, or to sticky an existing one like Manic's? Manic's DIY Arduino Reef Controller - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Just a thought :biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cknipe

cknipe

Tagging.

4. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

I fully agree with this! I sat up till 2:35am reading and researching this project but the info is kind of kept secret and hard to come by.

Compiling it into one useable space is going to cut down on time and re-inventing the wheel.

5. nudibranch

nudibranch

Tagging along...very interested

6. GoSlowJoe

GoSlowJoe

Hi Guys

I am currently running some custom LED's in my aquarium and controlling the whole lot with an Arduino. I have fading of individual sets of LES's at various times and durations :) (Meaning I can have red LED's fade in and out during the sunrise and sunsets. Blue LED's first and then different colour whites with the reds doing their thing when needed. )

Theoretically, you can controll and read almost anything if it can be controlled by a signal.
    All in all, its great :thumbup:

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I would be interested. Very interested.

8. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

So share the love and code dammit :p

9. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

Had a question on a doser from my tank thread. In an effort to centralize answers I will post the answer here.

These would be the basic components.

Arduino – R440

Arduino Mega R3

Relay – R169
    Relay 4 channel 5V

RTC – R220
    Real Time Clock (RTC) Breakout Module

LCD – R160
    LCD 20X4

3 x Dosing Pumps - R450
    [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Dosing-pump-Peristaltic-dosing-Head-For-Aquarium-Lab-Analytical-water-/171201093571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dc615fc3"]12V DC Dosing Pump Peristaltic Dosing Head for Aquarium Lab Analytical Water | eBay [/ame]

You will have to google how to connect these components together but there are ample info on the web to get it done.

You will also need a 12V power supply to drive the dosing pumps, 8V for the Arduino (giving the Arduino 12 Volt seems to be a bit much, even though it is supposed to be able to handle it), and 5 Volt for the relays. You can google voltage regulator circuits or use of the shelf power supplies (this is more expensive though).

You don't really need the LCD if you hardcode everyhthing.

The Real Time Clock, RTC, is to keep accurate time.

If you want to give it a go I would get the control board, in this case the mega, and one of the components, say the RTC, and play with it. Get it up and running.

You will have to program the board though. There is a IDE from the arduino site you can use, but you will have to program in C.

Thats about it.

Price wise it is not that cheap. The electronic components minus the LCD in this example would be about R1279. Then you would have to add power supplies, connectors, wire, enclosures etc. I would add at least another R500 to this.

The complete controller I build cost about R4000, but that has a lot of other functions as well, which makes the whole thing as an aquarium controller more viable.

If you are only interested in a doser you can do without any bells and whistle's I would say use the cheapest control board like this

Arduino Leonardo

with the Relay Board above. You should be able to shave about R500 of the whole thing.

Just bear in mind that a doser can be a dangerous thing if the code driving it or the hardware malfunctions. You don not want a doser getting stuck in the on position.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  10. naptalene

naptalene

Awesome thread guys.

MUCH RESPECT!!!!! :)

11. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

I think I will leave this to the DIY wizards,

12. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

Ok so I will post info on how to get your own Reef controller up and running. I have everything in terms of a manual and a list of components needed to achieve your goals.

Please note the material I will post is not my own but stuff gathered from the internet. @Manic seems to have used this as his guide to his project.

Research is not complete and the code I still have to get sorted / gain access to. Hardware is readily available in SA and via ebay. Assembly of the hardware will require patience and a decent understanding of electronics - but with a little effort and Google will get you going.
    @nudibranch has offered coding skills and we have been chatting vi PM. I have offered electronics and assembly skills. Anybody else want offer up skills please do so and we can setup a little assembly line for those interested in my garage or somebody elses.

None of this is for commercial use...and is customisable.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

I have a lot of coding experience, particularly in embedded. Also have the code for my DIY projects lying around. If you need someone to troubleshoot let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. GoSlowJoe

GoSlowJoe

All of my Arduino projects run off a 2000mA 12V DC supply(Old Samsung External HDD power supply), it makes using 12 fans etc a lot easier. The board is rated as 6V - 20V but can safely use 12V in my experience. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560

15. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

True, until you start to pull some juice with a network shield or some such, then that little regulator on the Arduino gets so hot it even cuts out sometimes.

It also depends on the board you get, I have found they do not always use the same regulators on all of them. As a matter of course I do not supply anything more than 8 volt to them, had too many hassles in the past.

Most of my projects also have higher power requirements on its peripherals which cannot be sourced from the Arduino itself, and need regulated power anyway. If you can build one voltage regulator then you can easily build two, very cheap if you use base components.

16. GoSlowJoe

GoSlowJoe

I ususlly use the LM317 Voltage regulators when I need to drop a few volts down to obscure voltages, also the LM78** when I need a fixed 3.3 / 5 /12 Volt supply.

I have also made a point to only control signals to my peripherals and not to feed anything but my RTC's and displays from my Arduino boards. I am sure this has saved me a couple of ATmega328 chips ;)

I will try neatening up my code some time and finnaly get around to setting up a display/controller of some sorts this month. (Currently running the controller blind without an interface :w00t: )

As a side note, I use the MeanWell LDD Driver range to power my 10W LED's. They use PWM directly from the Adruino and allows you to dim the lights nicely.

17. naptalene

naptalene

Just to chime in for the guys who want to play with customizable stuff but the builds scare them, ReefAngel is Arduino based. So if you are intrigued about coding but scared check that out.

18. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

How much does a ReefAngel cost by the way?

19. cknipe

cknipe

Too much - especially when you start adding sensors and stuff. That's the single biggest reason why I won't be purchasing one, because I know what the actual electronics inside the unit cost.

Reef Angel Aquarium Controller

20. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

I used to own an Aquatronica controller in the UK and it was expensive however @ that point in time it was the controller to own...and worked like a bomb!

I just looked @ the ReefAngel...it looks outdated (IMHO) in comparison to the open source controller built using the Arduino Mega 2650(or 2560?) R3.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  21. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
Recent Posts