Aragonite turning brown ??

Reaction score
hey guys have been watching my aragonite turn brown...browish in certain areas( like in patches) over the last two days....have been using aqua organic ....and was asked to dump abt 15litres and add fresh water over a two day period cos i had a high salinity...the two soft corals i have in there still look happy and unaffected....

Some of my live rock has turned colour (red and purple in places) I am hoping this is normal and healthy cos my tank might finally be cycling.....

IS THE BROWN ON ARROGANITE NORMAL OR A CONCERN ???

Sounds like diatoms mate, this is a normal part of the tank maturing. It's due to phosphates in the water. Nothing to worry about

The red and purple is called coralline algae. Indication that water conditions are good, also it's beautiful and most people can't wait till their tanks have some coralline in!

thanks matt...takes a load off was fearing the worst..also btw have delayed puttin in more LR like u said.....so the corals can adjust for a while ....

good stuff shiks. Listen if you can buy fully cured liverock then you can add it no problems. It's just the uncured liverock (which means still has die-off occuring) that will cause ammonia and nitrite spikes in your tank :)

So if you haven't bought any LR yet, look for some cured liverock

turns out LFS is bringing in cured rock...just waitin for their shipment now also paying a premium for it ....waiting for this salinity thing to sort itself out....neva knew water could be too salty...wonder if the ocean ever gets too salty..lol thanks again for the advice will take it slow as i possibly can ....

turns out LFS is bringing in cured rock...just waitin for their shipment now also paying a premium for it ....waiting for this salinity thing to sort itself out....neva knew water could be too salty...wonder if the ocean ever gets too salty..lol thanks again for the advice will take it slow as i possibly can ....

Yip, think of the dead sea, no fish ;)

What lighting do you have? I accidentally ended up with a red T5 bulb on one side of my tank once (don't ask), and that side went algae brown. Switched off the red tube and within a few days it all cleared up.

one blue t5 and a white t5...but i dont think is lighting... am only running bulbs for 8 hours a day and growth is consistent throughtout day but thanks

shiks: Diatoms are a part of your tank maturing. They will go eventually

As Matt has pointed out it's normal, part of the horrible "new tank syndrome" work on getting your tank parameters up to correct levels and the nuicance algae will burn itself out.

dont worry dude,all normal,everytank goes through that,give it time and it willl go away.yeah i know it looks kak

Sorry for hijacking but didnt want to start a new thread with the same problem.
My tank running 1.5 years and my aragonite turning brown.My coral closing slowly.I done a water change last week but still nothing.I cannot pinpoint my problem as I have done too many changes in the last few months....My tank was perfect and only adding cal.and trace.
1.Collected some sand at blouberg for my sump.
2.Started adding mag.(which I never do)
3.Added a MH.
4.Stopped

Sorry for hijacking but didnt want to start a new thread with the same problem.
My tank running 1.5 years and my aragonite turning brown.My coral closing slowly.I done a water change last week but still nothing.I cannot pinpoint my problem as I have done too many changes in the last few months....My tank was perfect and only adding cal.and trace.
1.Collected some sand at blouberg for my sump (which I think is now dead as I see black patches here and there.
2.Started adding mag.(which I never do)
3.Added a MH.(advice)
4.Stopped cal dripping.
5.I topped up lastmonth with tapwater(I know, I was an idiot!)
6.Removed my bioballs(advice taken)

Cleaned all my pumps and stuff.Is my flow not enough anymore?

My tank was beautiful before I did all this stuff.Should do another water change?
12544ab75e0b050d3.jpg

no prob bud....i can only assume your tank is going through another cycle....ie maybe another algae bloom.....it shoud go away within a few weeks abt 3/4 but if it persists it might also be high phos or maybe a certain something u might be dosing extra of that is creating extra bacteria...i was dosing vinegar and found i was dosing way too much...stopped the vinegar and my brown reduced to normal again....i would nt take my word for it though....maybe wait for one of the pros opinions

U should b happy that u only had i diatom bloom. Adding tap water usually comes with a lot more problems than that. From personal experience even filtered tap water doesn't work. I bet its your tap water that is the problem.

You probably just experiencing a mini cycle which will stabalize on its own. Just give it a little time. The extra light can also be a contributing factor.

I think your substrate is turning brown form the organic aqua. It does happen with dosing bacteria and carbon

Back
Top Bottom