Aragonite Questions

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Jaco Schoeman, 18 Aug 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys and girls

I just have a few q's regarding aragonite, that I need your help with. Bare in mind I am setting up a brand new tank here...;)

1) Firstly, is it better to have the aragonite in your DSB or DT? Where would it serve the best purpose? I was planning to have playsand in my DSB, and crushed coral in my DT, but now I want to rather invest in aragonite, shere should it be?

2) I read one gets wet and dry aragonite, and also in different colors. Which one is best (new tank)?

3) I see Carib Sea also has mineral mud. Is it any good? Should one seed your new DSB with that?

Please help me here. I know that Aragonite is very beneficial to the system. If I have Arag in my DSB, then crushed coral would go into DT. If I have the Arag in my DT, then playsand for my DSB.

Which option is best here? :p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

4. Sentari

Sentari

Jaco Personally ive heard alot of things about using aragonite vs other substrates.

If you have the money aragonite is the way to go. But if you dont then other substrates are okay also.

I have sugar fine crushed coral in my DT and playsand in my DSB. So far it seems okay.

BIG TIP: WASH WASH WASH WASH!!!! thats all i can say to you :)

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

No Neil. Will read it quickly. Thanks!!! :thumbup:

6. Tony

Tony

Use the aragonite in your DT as you will have far more surface area for it to better facilitate your buffering

7. Jaco Schoeman

Thank Tony!!! That does make a lot of sense... :yeahdude:

Neil, I read through that stunning article and the thread. Thanks man. So, I understand it better and will use the arag in my DT, and use playsand in my DSB.

Now, can I use that mineral mud stuff from carib sea to seed the DSB?

8. Neil H

glad it helped

i dont know much about the mud so will defer to someone else for the answer on that !

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

From what I read about the sugar fine aragonite is that you it is suitable for shallower beds. They say you get denitrification from beds as shallow as 2.5cm. So if you had 2.5cm of aragonite in the DT then you effectively have a shallower DSB that will help with denitification. And then use the cheap play sand in the sump for the normal DSB.

10. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks Marius. My DT will be about 5cm thick, so that is gonna work well with my DSB that would be about 400 x 350 x 150 made up from playsand... ;)

SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! :yeahdude:

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Araganite or crushed coral in dt= the whiter the substrate the more light will reflect from the sand thus making the tank more brighter and helps the corals to get some light from diff angles(small bit...but every bit helps)

Araganite vs mineralmud vs playsand for dsb= i am running mineral mud as a dsb and araganite and playsand(bottom cm's is araganite and top is playsand) as a seperate dsb on my 2m setup and both seems to be doing well... mineral mud gives of minerals and different creatures live in the mud than in the normal dsb with arag or playsand, you can also grow some macro algaes in it or mangroves.

Any method will work....seeding dsb with aragalive will work but it doesnt shorten the peroid of a well estalished dsb...it still takes exactly the same time...its better to get a cup full of sandf from your reefing buddy to seed your dsb.

hope this helps a bit;)

12. Jaco Schoeman

Yes, it does help, thank you MY REEFING BUDDY - SKIMP;) SKIMP;)...

:lol::lol::lol:

13. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

ill hook you up:thumbup:

14. Hermanus

Hermanus

just a question I asked the people at Northland pets and thy say no no for play sand, because it gives of silica or something? I,m looking to save abit on all the arrigonate, my DSB or ready took two backs of fine sand ( Caribbean sand) @ plus minus R500 per bag, now to fill up the DT 1,8 will take what 6 or 7 bag's

15. Jaco Schoeman

Thanx LANZO. Appreciate it...

Hermanus, Playsand would give off silica yes, but for it to be harmfull to anything would only happen after a billion years!!!! Your childrens children children would sit with the issue of you using playsand in the year 2116, and then you would not worry about it anyway, as you are nothing but dirt...;)

Use playsand.

16. Hermanus

Hermanus

Were do I bay good clean playsand, think the arrigonite is good but way to pricie!!

17. Neil H

any kiddies shop .... reggies is a good bet..... it looks brown, you just need to wash it like 100 times and it come out sparkling white ;)

18. Jaco Schoeman

Buy it from Reggies or Toys'r'us. About R35 a bag. Just make sure to wash it VERY VERY good. I once counted the amount of times I filled a 20 litre bucket with water to clean half that bucket of sand. I counted 65 times to get it clean!!!! So washing is the most important issue.

Just remember one thing on playsand; (and I just learnt this this morning;))

Playsand is VERY light, so a sandstorm is a definite in strong flow tanks. Although Aragonite is also sugar fine, it is MUCH heavier and does not get blown around that much. I have heard of some people mixing their Arag and playsand, just to give it a bit more weight, but I suggest just going for Arag.

19. Furbz

Furbz

my araganite in my DT is 3cm think and has bubbles within it. so def has a denitrification effect! :thumbup:

20. Furbz

Furbz

as for playsand. i started out with playsand in my DT and the sandstorm effect is really irritating! eventually sucked it all up and replaced it with araganite.
    its much whiter and brighter!! far far FAR better!!

21. Furbz

Furbz

on that note tho. this weekend i will be swopping over to a different tank :)
    i want to reuse my current araganite, which is in my DT. and transfer it to become my new DSB.. then purchase new araganite to fill my DT.
    will this be ok?

Recent Posts