Aragonite or live sand ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by marco, 6 Jun 2013.

1. marco

marco

hi there , i am going to build a new tank soon and was wondering what sand to use and the price difference between aragonite and live sand ?As i like the white surface a lot, which one should be the best ? and where can i buy this sand.Any help ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Strandlooper

Strandlooper

My first tank I used live sand from the beach, I've just upgraded and aragonite was recommended, apparently it helps with the PHOTO, Alkalinity and calcium levels for corals. I must say it looks a lot nicer than the sand. Only draw back is it takes 24 hrs for the water to clear as It gives off a white cloud when you fill the tank. Hope this helps. I bought mine from my LFS at Greenacres. I see you are In George not sure what shops you have there if any.

4. crispin

crispin

id personally reccomend aragonite every time, it gives one a number of advantages in a marine system over other types of substrate.

try get one that is 1-3mm particle size as that will give you the most stable envitonment for micro organisms to grow and will be heavey enough to resist the currents created inside a reef tank.

5. crispin

crispin

also when you add sand (what ever you choose) remeber to have water in the tank first and leave some space for the displacment. this way the sand falls through the water and releases any air or gasses which would be trapped if you added water to a dry substrate.

6. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I'm starting a tank soon. And I've opted for Aragonite Seaflor 1-2mm.. 18kg would be around R600-R700

7. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

I used Caribsea Fiji Pink looks amazing

8. marco

marco Thread Starter

How much did the caribsea fiji cost ?

9. ccwilke

@marco the price is 18.1 kg for R772 I got it from another shop for R629.Unfortunately he is not a sponsor so I cant mention his name.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. marco

marco Thread Starter

will 6.8 kg be enough to full my tank of 90(l)x 40(w) cm ?quite a small tank

11. ccwilke

@marco depends how deep you want it but I thinks it's not going yo be enough.My tank is 1m x 44 cm and I added 18.1 kg and its about 3 cm.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Crispy, this has always got me thinking as to why this is recommended. Why would trapped air effect the tank/substrate.

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

reduced surface area for filtration?

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Butchers is surface area not surface area. Do you imply that trapped air will change the surface area? I would have thought that the viscous of the air to the substrate/ water would not alter the surface area.

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Beneficial bacteria can't live in air, but in water therefore more air less area for the bacteria to live on. That's how I see it.

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This subject has many opinions and will derail the thread. Perhaps move this discussion.

Back to the discussion. I thought that air and/or the lack of it provided O2 and CO2 to the different bacteria.

I am thinking, wet dry filters, trickle filters, Deep remote sand filters, bomb method with bio cubes etc

17. crispin

crispin

thats how i see it too.

i see the trapped air as being a blockage for aquatic life to live in and thus the area around the air reduces the surface on which bacteria and organisms can collonise or burrow through.

personally where the difference lies between air trapped (static) in a substrate and the O2, CO2 you are refering to is that O2 and CO2 are disolved in water, which is not the case as in the gas form of trapped air. Also with the trapped air being static it forms a barrier through which aquatic organisms (from microscopic to bigger organisms) cannot pass through, as well as a barrier for which liquid cannot pass through. Its this barrier effect thats always concerned me most, not so much the reduced surface area, although there is that too.

thats how I see it anyway.

another advantage of substrate falling through the water collumn is that you rinse it well, causing a milky sand storm for a few days, as opposed to that fine particle matter being released each time a flow pump or fish disturp the substrate over a long period of time.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Crispy, I understand what you are saying. And it is important to have discussions and for members to understand different points of view. They can then do research and choose the route to embark on. But IMO I feel that there are a huge amount of myths and " hear say's" that are fed to newbies. I do consider the traped air one as a myth. For all the reasons anyone can think of. Just my experience.:thumbup:

However for many years we have always aquascaped, first to lay down the dry rock on the tank bottom. Glass or acrylic. Then add the substrate. Allow the aquscaping fixing and glue to set, then add water.

As we set up and move at least 50+ tanks a year. I am sure we would have found a problem if there was an issue with trapped air.

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Maybe we are derailing the thread a bit...
    I agree with Keith, are bubbles a major problem? My sand bed has developed gas pockets, which I assume are a byproduct of anaerobic bacteria. Are these bubbles an issue? Would the oxygen trapped in the sand from filling the tank not be used up anyway?

20. devesh.r

devesh.r

Hey man I just changed from crushed coral to React Eco aragonite live sand and it looks amazing. Will post a pic for you to see, my tank looks much brighter now.

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes we are going to ask for those before and after pic's bud. Put them up for us.:thumbup:

Please.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2013
Recent Posts