Aragonite dust/dirt

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mayoginn, 13 May 2009.

1. mayoginn

mayoginn

Hi guys

I have bought aragonite and wasnt told exactly how to put in, so i just thew it in, for 2 weeks i had milky water and then everything settled, my rock still has dust on it i cleaned my filter 3 timez but the bio sponge is back to white, its even in the base of the mini skimmer, its goin on 4 months now. The gravel has it all over. Is this grave news or is it helpful for the tank. Is it possible to have a crab that came with LR cause there is a little guy that comes out at night and eats till morning and then hides the whole day. He looks like a true crab just about 5mm. My gravel is turnning beige is that dirt? The glass has brown algea spottz how do i clean that.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Add some filter floss to help clear it up. Take a small powerhead and blast your rocks to lift the dust. Crabs are common hitch hikers on live rock. Get a dish sponge that hasn't been used to clean the glass and reserve this for marine use only or else get a glass scraper available from most pet shops

4. brentnorm

brentnorm

What filtration system are you using? If you got a overflow just put in some filter wool and then replace it daily. It's not bad for the tank at all, just not pleasing on the eye. It is very possible you got a crab with your live rock. Get yourselfca magnetic cleaner to clean your glass with and a turkey basted to blast all that aragonite dust off your rocks.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

conect a flexible pipe to a powerhead, and use that to blast the rocks clean, easier than moving the powerhead around, can get it into smaller gaps, and less work on the hand than a turkey blaster. :)

6. mayoginn

mayoginn Thread Starter

using a resun cs 700 filter. Thankz for the help all, il try it tonight.

7. mayoginn

mayoginn Thread Starter

using a resun cs 700 filter. Thankz for the help all, il try it tonight. Is it safe to put my bare handz in the water cause i have seen funny little creatures. Just dont want them biting.

8. keyaam

keyaam

After touching a few bristleworms i now use gloves when working in the tank

Recent Posts