Aquascaping

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Slims, 11 Nov 2010.

1. Slims

Slims

Morning Guys

More & more i'm coming across tanks on the net that are minimalistic in their aquascaping. Very little live rock is used making the corals the real attraction in these tanks. Despite the small quantity of LR used these reefkeepers are having
    great success with their setups. i've included 2 examples of such tanks.

My question is : What is the minimum quantity of LR needed in a 4 footer to achieve this sort of look and what is needed to compensate for the shortage of LR?
    Your input would be appreciated.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Monti

Monti

You will notice that both Sunny X and V1 Rotate (the tanks above) carbon dose... this makes it much easier to get away with less rock in the tank as the bacteria populations are so high.

An important aspect is also flow around all the rocks. Also, the rocks are high quality LR (Bali or whatever)

I would say in a standard 4 foot tank (200 odd litres right?) you can get away with 10-12 kilos no problem if you are clever. on my 250 litre tank Im planning, I want around 15 to 18 kilos max.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

You could also just make a bigger sump and add the excess live rock in the sump.

5. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

Ideally, 1kg per liter. And the same in sand. This or even more if you are relying on it for nitrification with no other filters other than a skimmer. Its a lot! But can go in the sump if you want a minimalistic DT

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

Never, are you sure you got that one right. That means my tank would need 550Kg and with 60Kg at the moment it is way to full.

7. Submariner

Submariner

One of the thing you will notice with most of these tanks is lots of corals with only a few fish.

I would say +- 1kg live rock for every 10 litres dependent on stocking rates.

8. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

Sorry. 1 kg per 10 liters

Houston zoo 19 000 l coral exhibit - 1818kg live rock and 1818kg DSB
    Reef HQ aquarium in Aus - 2 500 000 l with 700 tons LR and 300 tons DSB
    Some of the other aquariums get away with less but then either have ozone or regular water changes

9. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

I have 12 000 liter system and am working up to +- 1080 m3 of LR. Dont know what weight that'll be. But I only have 360 m3 at the moment

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

The problem with using so much live rock is that you get dead spots where there isn't flow. My new system will only have around 1Kg/25L but I will be running zeoliths as well.

11. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

I have it all stacked vertically in crates which are lifted off the bottom.

[​IMG]

12. Manic

Manic Moderator

Also about the sand. None of my latests systems have used a dsb, I think to get a dsb to work properly it needs to be way too big.

13. Pads

Pads

Another consideration with LR is the size of the rock relative to its weight. You could have 15kg of highly porous rock taking up twice the space as 15kg of dense rock. So I feel its not as straight forward as a kg to litre ratio but rather the filtering capacity. How that's measured I'd also like to know.

14. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

tagging along

15. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

if the LR is placed in the sump does it require the same type of lighting it would get in the DT?

16. Manic

Manic Moderator

No you only need lighting in the sump if you are growing macro algae. Otherwise it is not needed.

17. Monti

Monti

Just FYI, those tanks do not have LR in the sump. They actually have a very basic setup. The point of carbon dosing is you do not need LR- by adding bacteria and feeding it, you get enough to control your nutrients without needing tonnes of rock. Thats the approach those guys take at least.

18. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Here you go...the second setups filter system

Zeovit system...

The display tank

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  19. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

The point of live rock is the massive internal surface area for anaerobic bacteria. So it plays a role in denitrification with the DSB.

To check the porosity of LR measure its buoyant weight relative to dry weight, taking into consideration the density of the water. this will give a rough estimate, I say rough because the porous nature of LR traps bubbles and will give inaccurate readings of buoyant weight.

What I'll like to figure out is the optimum surface area to volume ratio to most effectively balance out the aerobic and anaerobic bacterial populations.

Also its not just the bacterial populations which are beneficial. The inverts, poriferas, ect do heaps of good!

20. Monti

Monti

Thats all well and good, but in the tanks above, thats not the approach taken (or in fact the approach taken in most minimalist tanks). Remember, the point of this thread is not the value of live rock, its about how the tanks above achieve what they do using a minimalist style.

In the above tank, the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria is given a shot of steroids by carbon dosing. This makes the need for large amounts of live rock anda DSB moot. Its not for everyone though.

And Im not saying the other bio elements (pods etc) are irrelevant either, they are still present in minimalist scaping.

21. Afsal

Afsal

i personally don't like LR in my sump , too much detritus build up

Recent Posts