Aquascaping mission imposible

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Rhyn, 16 Jun 2012.

1. Rhyn

Rhyn

Have just scaped a tank that is 1.5 m deep and very little space in the top to manoeuver. What a mission i must say but got it done with no damage :eek: . The one piece of live rock i used was nearly 1 m long and weighed 16 kg:eek:. Sorry about the pic but i just used my cell. Please let me know what you think:blush:.

I have one problem with this tank and that is it is tooooooo deeeeep:boat:! I cant put any corals on the bottom as the light does not seem to get to the bottom and that is why I have scaped a new level. I 'would love to use the whole tank top to bottom... any advice from you guys about what low light corals i could use or should i just put the corals up high?. The lights Í'm running are 4 x 250w mh and 8 x 50 w T5 Am also wanting to use a sort of ground cover like zoas or xenia up the sides where the rock reaches the top of the tank, Any advice will be greatly apreciated:thumbup:.[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

[​IMG]

5. roderigo

roderigo

:thumbup:wow i say JOB well DONE man:yeahdude:

6. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

1.5m deep!?! bloody well done on the scaping there buddy, looks great. I see you have 4 x 250w MH, what globes are you using? 10k/14k/16k/20k?

7. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

I have two 16 k and two 20k

8. Afsal

Afsal

Yes man , nicely done

9. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

10. marine101

marine101

dude, thats frikin amazing! id suggest zoas, xenia, some softies, mushrooms way at the bottom, lps mdway and some SPS midway to the top. even let the sps grow towards the centre, and fill that central gap.

But super nice man

11. crispin

crispin

ive always loved the look of deep tanks and one can achieve some great scaping with that depth, i think youve done a great job although i think id personally have left that center area bare sand and have two drop offs instead. I would def sugest moving that nennie up though, he looks pale and bleached and wont be getting enough light down there from 250W.

i would be more concerned by the big angel you ahve floating around that tank eating any zoas or softies you might add that I would about the light the corals might get, but if he's a well behaved fish you could look at supplimenting the lightuing with some LED spots directly above where you want to add corals to the lower sections. I am not sure what the penertration of @Adee LED's are, but have a look at his thread here Adee's v2 - Page 47 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa and see if they might be a sollution for you.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. FransSny

FransSny

WOW , thats deep ! butr well done the scaping looks way cool. At that depth I would look at placing some NPS specimens deep down..you could also have some under the overhangs etc.You can still use the "coke bottle feeding method " by just attaching a long piece of PVC to the coke bottle if you want to target feed , or you can feed in the water collum

13. Adee

Adee

Wow, that is deep man. Id be nervous working in water that deep.

My led pendants are designed for public aquaria use, so yes....will certainly light this puppy up.

14. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Looks good
    But the the tank dont look 1500mm high to me...
    Or do you mean front to back or left to right?

15. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice bud.:thumbup:. Think im going to remove the rocks next to the cave section so that i split the two drop offs and have a sandy gap. The reason for the cave section is to get the corals closer to the light. Now for the angel problem and there are two of the beauties... How do I remove these guy? They were/are always a concern and would like to remove them. I thought of simply fishing for them but not sure. Remember this is a 3.2m x 1m x 1.5 so to catch them the conventional way (net) is not an option. Any ideas please.

The nenie is out that tank and in my frag tank and is recovering nicely. He just wouldnt stay up top and always seemed to settle on the sand at the bottom. Am planning on putting him back when he is strong again but need a way to get him to settle near the top. Any ideas would be greatly apreciated

The lights are going to be tricky as there is no more space at the top of the tank so hence the cave section. Spose i could make a plan to add a DIY LED into the light units but will first see how the new levels do. ;)

16. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

Thanks

Tank dimentions are 3.2m L x 1m W x 1.5m H

Trust me bud its 1.5 m deep. I used a 1m gaf to lower the rock and had my arm fully extended to get the Rock to the bottom. Remember you are not seeing the full part of the tank as the top is coverd with the cabinet doors.

17. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea.:thumbup: I do like the idea of adding NPS but i dont have much experiance with them. What are some of the easy NPS corals And how often do you need to target feed them.

18. FransSny

FransSny

Look at Jaco Schoeman's threads...he really dis some awesome research into it and between himself and his dad Freek (both are members) ..they got it right...will point you in the right direction

19. Rhyn

Rhyn Thread Starter

Will do :thumbup:

20. Tremayn

Tremayn

geez bro! Your tank is as deep as mine is long. Lol hope you dont drop anything in the tank. Im certainly glad my tank is only 47cm deep :p

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Ryan, Is that Radovan Krejcir's tank?

Recent Posts