Aquascaping advice needed

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by herkie, 5 Jul 2010.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I have this about 80l tank and the aqua scaping really annoys me lately. I would like to redo the scaping and I would like to use diy or any other suitable rock. I would like to have three thin shelves not thicker than 3 cm each. I would like to be able to shape the lower biggest shelve so that it will allow me enough space to clean the glass without wasting too much space. I would also like to have the shelves to stand on legs that will not waste space.

Please give me your advice on what to use for shelving and legs or diy ideas. Can I use slate for shelves?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Look at Mudshark's tanks

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Herkie - you CAN use Slate as shelves, BUT, I have found that solid objects in a marine tank, has the tendency to accummulate a LOT of detritus VERY quickly, no matter how much water flow you have in your tank. This leads to nuisance algae finding a foothold in one's tank.

I prefer a open scaping (I used to have a solid wall of live rock in my 2 meter)...... Perhaps a single island of live rock somewhere?

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Im sure you get different types of slate, but i think there is iron in the slate ive bought before, mayby ask where you want to buy.
    Ive also tried lava rock, bad idea for me , there was rust patches on the rock and gravle after a week.

Somthing different to think about ?
    What about pollycarbanate ( plastic ).
    It can be Cut , rounded and heated to give a less clinicle form.
    Ive thourght of scraping a layer of silicone on the visible sides and patting arraganite onto it to dry for a natural look that wont get washed off by powerheads ?

6. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

I prefer a open scaping (I used to have a solid wall of live rock in my 2 meter)...... Perhaps a single island of live rock somewhere?

You are so right Jeaques, the problem is me. I am greedy and want to have too much in the tank-more than a single island can hold.

7. herkie

Agreed, I have some slate that was used as roofing tiles. When cutting it with a angle grinder one gets this very strong metallic smell. The polycarbonate sounds great, especially if it can be covered with something after it is slightly shaped. This way you can cut holes in it to enhance water flow and reduce settlement area.

I polycarbonate the same as perspex?

8. herkie

How do I search for his tanks?

9. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi, as far as i know , poly carb is much stronger( depending on the thickness is bullet proof ), its not brittle like perspex, so you can heat it, cut and drill easaly, I made a faring screen for a bike out of it once by dipping the sheet in hot oil , bending and letting it cool, but you can use a hair drier if you dont mind distortion .

if you get hold of toppdogg he knows these product like the back of his hand,he will give you better advice. http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=12540

Im keen to see if you go through with it, keep me posted

10. seank

seank

11. herkie

Thank you SK but I was thinking of something narrow and high. It is your old Oscar tank. If I go for the more horizontal way of scaping I will not get coral space. Please think of a more narrow and high idea. Otherwise we will have to discuss around a fire or something.:peroni:

12. seank

seank

13. herkie

Look at Sean K's concrete tank recent posts-that is what will work for me. Do you think he will build one small rock for me? It would be very great to have one well shaped rock in the display. C'mon SK!

Last edited: 19 Aug 2010
  14. crispin

crispin

herkie he tells you in words of single syllables how to build that rock, just do it yourself, although in an 80l tank id hesitate to do that as you wont have any biological filtration with man made rock and thats gonna give you hassels down the line

Recent Posts