Aquascape - HELP!

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Ok today I decided it was time to get moving on my tank so I got up and bought a whole bunch of stuff to help me get the aquascape just right...some putty, cabel ties and a few other bits and bobs...

I cut a piece of wood the size of the 2 rock structures I want and started to build on a table.. Man can I build nice structures! I use a bit of putty to get the 4 "feet" nice and strong and figure I can build something similar in tank...

Well lets just say I chucked all the rock back in the tank and wasted alot of putty and about 4 hours!

How do you guys get it done in tank I don't know???

I think I should just empty the tank get in and build the aquascape and fill em up again.

Any advice, tips tricks?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I think you're gonna have to go the empty tank route hey... If you don't have bracing etc you could always take all the rock out, build your structure very firmly and then lower it into the tank.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
lol, I just put the bottom rocks in and balance the rest on top.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ditto, Dean! Ditto! ;-) Perphaps I will be daring enough one day to do it differently!

I am absolutely interested by the tank that Wee-Man posted of Simon Garrett. He built his own "aquascaped rock mounds" - I am playing with the idea of getting rid of the live rock in my tank and placing "fake/bio-rock" into my tank....

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
I have ried stands they look shit either way....oh well I will get this one right!

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
I tries 40mm, 20mm, 25mm and eggcrate...all look kak... I'm going to empty my tank and build a nice strong rock scape then fill up again. It's impossible to work with putty in water just a big mess. I found that cable ties and putty work quite well as well as plastic rods. I used these 6mm pipes that are for garden sprinklers just cut off the top bit and drill the rock and putty it in so it's nice and strong. Also find trimmer nylon works well too...

palmerc

Chromis
Reaction score
I've also given up on the idea of making LR stands.

Unless they are madee quite small it is difficult to really stack the rock up properly on/around them. But then if they are small then a large pieec of liverock is just as good as a stand.

Boomslang

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Your average stainless steel will rust....

I am thinking of building supports with carbon fibre rods I use for my RC airplanes.