aquarium stand

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Skyecloud, 19 Sep 2012.

1. Skyecloud

Skyecloud

Hi all, need to construct a stand for my newest aquarium. Has to be custom made to fit the sump in and super strong. Although aquarium will only hold about 120 litres all the glass is 10mm and really heavy and I do not want any nasty accidents.

Can anyone post any pics of anything similar so I can get going.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nakoma

nakoma

You want to make this of wood or steel

4. Quintin

Quintin

Overkill is always better.
    Make yourself a steel frame out of 20mm/30mm/40mm square tubing and have it powder coated.

Wil be rock solid and can support your tank, your car and you all in one go.:thumbup:

5. Skyecloud

Skyecloud Thread Starter

wood would suit me better to be honest

6. Fred d

Fred d

Railway sleepers ?

7. nakoma

nakoma

Ok well it suits better to i do have some nice plans handy i will post them for you as soon as i am home , That will be tomorrow only .

8. nakoma

nakoma

Skyecloud I see you are from the U.K , what type of wood are you maybe thinking of using.

9. Skyecloud

Skyecloud Thread Starter

not sure of choice of wood....suggestions please!

10. Skyecloud

Skyecloud Thread Starter

that would be awesomely appreciated.

11. riyadh

riyadh

Meranti. It wont swell is it gets wet, and will look nice with a clear varnish if you dont want a cabinet, and you can some lekker thick beams like 50mm but for the thicker the better and looks very nice especially for that kind of stand. Also the top square can be routed so that you can drop the tank to sit low down in the wood. I would recommend using a marine varnish.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome here Skyecloud

Stand making here in South Africa is a lot different than stands in the UK or Europe. Wood is cheap there compared to steel. Also the type of wood, although even the same tree, is very different. due to our generally warmer climate our trees grows a lot faster than there. Pine trees here are fully grown between 8 to 12 years. Were in Norway they are only cut down after 80 years. That makes our wood a lot softer, ideal for a lot of other purposes like paper, pallets etc, but not at all for very fine carpentry or stands.

I know of one wood stand made in Johannesburg area in the last couple of years. All the other stands are steel. For us, steel is still a lot cheaper than wood in comparison with you.

13. nakoma

nakoma

Any type of hard wood would do even pine depending upon the species and where it was grown . The same type pine tree can grow in 3 diffrent contries and look totaly diffrent .As there is diffrent species within the pine family and hybrids. I have build wooden stands from anything from pine to oak to ply wood. As ply wood is very strong this is my choise for the cheapest option . It can be obtained in the marine brand as well known here as marine plywood . It is very strong and myne I build more or less 12 years ago and i live in one of the highst humidity reagons around here. For the expensive kind maybe red oak. I prefer using a cheaper but strong pine in the marine range for frame work and a oak to finish it .

For now here is a link on a simple build I have not hade time yet to consult my carpentry books because i am working very long hours . Hope this can help for now.

How to Build a DIY Aquarium Stand (DIY AQUARIUM STAND PROJECTS)

14. nakoma

nakoma

People often prefer metal stands and other people prefer wooden stands . What we are doing here is placing a pot of salt on a pedastil . Salt for any meterial in the long run means disaster . Nothing lasts longer than something build with care and what makes it last even longer is taking the proper care of it after it is made this i belive is the key to making it last .

15. Skyecloud

Skyecloud Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice.....shall post pics when I finally get it together! Hoping soon!!!!

Recent Posts