Aquarium Stand - Wood or Steel

Reaction score
I just realized that I will also have to build a new stand for the tank I am currently constructing.

After looking on the internet for some good ideas and advice on stands , I suddenly came to the realization that it seems as if all plans for stands on the internet are wooden stands.

I never even considered making a wooden stand. It seems to me as if it is quite popular in the USA to make wooden stands. Normally made from 2" x 4" .

What are your ideas about this - wood or steel?

Wood - I have used beech for my stand and just sealed it with WodDoc exterior. Much easier to work with and saves you from doubling up as you normally end up cladding a metal stand anyway.

Sorry Kevin , what size tank are we talking about?

4ft display. However I have not given much thought to the maximum size tank that a wood stand would support. I would think that it would be quite large though provided the uprights are properly sized and that the stand is properly jointed (ie not just but joints)

wood imo,much easier to work with, and much stronger than you would think.

Tell me what size and i will draw it up for u;)

Wood is popular in the States because it's so cheap. You would be supprised how expensive a wood stand would work out.

I did my steel stand out of 38 x 38 square tube, galvanised for less than 1k.
The size of the stand is 2m x 0.8 x 1M and can probably support the weight of a Sherman Tank.

Kanga, the tanks bottom glass is 1750 x 650. I have a drawing somewhere on the laptop of a proposed stand, but can't find it in the mess. Would however appreciate a drawing from you to compare with.

Thanks

DR so you think the reason for us not using wood, is the price?

DR so you think the reason for us not using wood, is the price?

Mainly. I just built a sorting checking table at work. For a couple of pieces of laminated pine, some varnish and screws it came to R800 +-
For a tank stand you would need to seal it properly as well, at least 3 coats of polyurethane varnish.

Price it out and see which is cheaper.

Wood is popular in the States because it's so cheap. You would be supprised how expensive a wood stand would work out.

I did my steel stand out of 38 x 38 square tube, galvanised for less than 1k.
The size of the stand is 2m x 0.8 x 1M and can probably support the weight of a Sherman Tank.

My stand and a pal's were built by the same person, made of 40mm box steel, he said they were good for 8tonnes weight, if you can powder coat or paint with a rust proofer paint then they will last - even through a flood, a wooden stand may not.

Steel is the way!! How often do you see the ninjas on tv punch threw steel?
Hope that made your mind up!!!

Have a look at wood wholesalers (eg Country Woods in Durban). They sell a wide range of woods and their prices are not bad.

Gaz wood is extremely strong - -look at the size houses they build with it.

Yip, wood is unbelievably strong, I have seen 2.5 and very deep 3 metre tzanks on wood at our LFS, and thinner than I would have built it.

Guys the thing is , even if I do it in steel, I wiil definitely clad it with a wooden cover (cabinet), otherwise the wife's definitely going to complain or ban me and the tank to the outbuilding.

I know wood is stong but with my luck it would not get sealed correctly and absorb a bit of water........ and have fish in my dinning room one morning:lol:

Back
Top Bottom