Aquarium Room Wiring & Electronics

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 19 Jul 2013.

1. brentv

brentv

This is a bit for the Sparkys and Computer boffs out there:

I'm Designing my Engine/Aquarium room for my new house and aquarium that I am going to start building in the next few weeks and would like to make sure that I streamline my electronics and wiring.
    I would like to make everything on digital timers (or computer?) or a combo.
    Also planning on having lots of 50mm pvc pipes chased into the walls in certain areas, so cables can be hidden, and run directly to DB boards, but also accessed should I require to remove equipment for cleaning maybe by having joiners in the cables (waterproof)

I would like to know if anyone has suggestions to help me streamline, or at least check I'm on the right path.

Here is a pic of the Engine room I'm designing:

IMG_4397.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Only thing with running it in pipes are that you will have to cut all plugs off so that it can fit. This will void the warranty of all new equipment. I would much rather have gone with channeling on the wall so that you can just remove the cover plate, work with the wires and replace cover when done.

Not as visually apealing as hidden wires but I much rather prefer my expensive equipment warranty in tact.

4. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hi Marius,
    I was thinking about this, most of the equipment I have already purchased was while I was in China last year. so even though it's all still in sealed boxes I doubt I could get warranty on it, especially the fact that it is only gonna be set up in around 8 months from now too.
    One of my pet hates is frikkin cables everywhere:whistling:
    Had this prob in my last build.
    I would love this time around to look at a panel of digitial timers and switches and not a spagetti network of cables.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Keep in mind that you cannot hardwire your tank DB box into your house DB box. And from your tank DB box hardwire your equipment.

If tank DB box is plugged into a wall socket, then its legal.

If Tank DB box is hardwired, but it goes out to wall plugs, and you plug in your equipment, then its legal.
    @Yuri can shed some more info.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2013
  6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i am in the process of using my PC to control everything via USB to relay and USB to analog breakouts.
    i am a software engineer will right the app so that everything is done in software and realtime, with all the warnings etc

speak to @Nemeziz_za about the heating idea i have and hopefully be in CT soon and we can meet up

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you can as long as everything is done correctly, with earth leakages etc.
    a qualified sparky that issues a COC will make sure its done right

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Basically the setup you get when the main DB box is in the house and you run a second DB box in the garage that splits further to the lights, plugs swimming pool and what not connected to the garage DB box. A lot of houses are like this. 60Amp (I think) wire between house and garage DB boxes. With isolation switch in garage DB box.

Note I'm not a sparky... :blush:
    Best is to get guys out

Also can get @Electrician24 / Anton in. He is in Cape Town and as his name says...
    He did help out Perky Pets with their electrical mess.

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

He still does.:tt2:

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip, I did chat to him there 3 weeks ago. He removed a fried rat from behind their DB box.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2013
  11. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah Riaan,
    The plan is to have a seperate DB board that only runs Aquarium set up, with obviously a big trip switch (not sure the ampage yet) on the main DB in the house.
    I've priced DB boards with circuit breakers ranging from 10-20Amp for about 10-15 breakers you are looking around the R700-R900 price range.
    Also can pull out the standard trip switches and replace with digital timer switches for R180ea!
    from the DB I can also have certain switches on a standard light switch type design on the main DT side of the wall (eg wave pumps and return pumps)

12. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah have started speaking to him about loads of ideas already;)
    Will be great to meet up, let me know your plans;)

13. contini

contini

Hi all
    surely if your tanks db board has its own earth leakage then it would be legal . The if your main house earth leakage trips for a faulty appliance it would not affect your tank an vica versa. Just a thought.

14. pkc

pkc

This may not be quite right for your question but with anything elec or any metal with the hobby, I apply silicon spray to every thing that does not touch the water before its first usage.
    Ends of power leads, inside and out side of all parts of light fittings, including the pin ends of LED replacement fluros and in the tomb stones, power boards, the lot gets done and I haven’t had any kind of issue with salt creep, the dreaded dark burn line between positive and negative, nothing at all for many years!

15. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Reckon this is good practise :thumbup:

16. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Just as a matter of interest I want to run the lighting in the Engine/Equip/Aquarium room (whatever you wanna call it:blush:) with reverse lighting for Ph swings etc.
    was thinking about putting solar lighting units for ambient lighting, or directly over the refugium?
    The all in one units are in the region of about R1000 and they basically charge all day and are on all night (Or you can have them on a timer)
    Just ideas

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Security light? you scared someone going to sneak into your engine room?

18. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

With FRAG Clippers!!!!:tt2:

Brent I like the idea of a in wall cable ducting with a removable panel (@mariusmeyer)....chat to you on Sat about it.

19. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Lol especially when you go visit. Which reminds me I need to come visit you...

20. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

No dude, it would be on day night not security sensor... uummm wait I don't know you boys all that well in Cape town, should it be on a security sensor?:lol:

21. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

This is definately a good option, basically like a trunking system that is flush against the wall. I could build trunking into the wall and pull the cover plates on and off at any time.
    Would be easy to keep everything hidden but accessible.
    Good idea @mariusmeyer:thumbup: now i'm starting to get wired:whistling:

Recent Posts