Aquarium noob

Reaction score
Hi there, apologies for the long post and if it is not in the correct forum...

I have never owned an aquarium.
We recently moved from South Africa to France, we are renting a property here.The house contains an aquarium which has been severely neglected.
I'm not sure for how long the house was empty. We moved in about 3 weeks ago.
There are 6 small fish in the aquarium which we've been feeding daily.
There are shops in the area I can ask for help, but my French is terrible, hence me approaching the forum for help.

State of tank, the front window was completely covered in algae, we have tried to clean it with the magnetic brushes:

What are these cups for?

Equipment, I have watched Youtube videos on the Eheim. I do not know the status of the filtering contents, but based on the status of the tank I imagine it requires replacement? Any advice?

I have added a new Sodastream CO2 bottle, but the pressure gauge is not showing anything, I am probably doing something wrong?

The tube from the CO2 feeds into this:

The outlet pipe? In the Youtube videos this Eheim model has a spreader pipe and it moves the surface water, this inlet is well below the surface and I cannot see any current.

The inlet pipe, again on the videos there is a filter for this, this does not seem as though it has anything.

More status pics

Can anyone ID these?
Is it ok to feed once a day?

This is what was in the house so we continued feeding this, bottle on the right.

I feel really sorry for these fish and want to give them a proper environment, so any advice is appreciated.
Thank you!

Those cups are co2 diffusers .
The cause of the algae can be from:
1.The tank was always getting co2 this stopped causing the algae. I may be mistaken.
2. Lighting needs to be high tech for co2
Co2 needs to be switched off and hour after lights go off and an hour before they turn on

I would rescape the tank give it a good clean
Might be other more experienced guys that may correct me

Welcome to the hobby

Those fish are penguin tetra. I usually feed mine twice a day but once will also be enough.

I would start with a 30% water change. Drain the water into a new clean bucket that hasn't been used for cleaning products.

You can also open up your eheim and rinse the contents in the water you've drained and put the contents back into the filter. The filter may be blocked if it hasn't been cleaned in a while. Would also recommend you clean the intake.

To fill it back up you can use the same bucket and add water back slowly but before adding it back you'll need to add a dechlorinator. (Something like Seachem safe)

The co2 line is feeding into an inline diffuser. These are great for getting co2 everywhere. Best would be to check if the soadstream bottle if full. I've had issues with them coming new but empty.

Think you can keep using that food. Doubt its expired if it was there. The cups might be shrimp feeding cups. There's probably no more shrimp in there if the tetras where left without food.

Welcome to the hobby

Those fish are penguin tetra. I usually feed mine twice a day but once will also be enough.

I would start with a 30% water change. Drain the water into a new clean bucket that hasn't been used for cleaning products.

You can also open up your eheim and rinse the contents in the water you've drained and put the contents back into the filter. The filter may be blocked if it hasn't been cleaned in a while. Would also recommend you clean the intake.

To fill it back up you can use the same bucket and add water back slowly but before adding it back you'll need to add a dechlorinator. (Something like Seachem safe)

The co2 line is feeding into an inline diffuser. These are great for getting co2 everywhere. Best would be to check if the soadstream bottle if full. I've had issues with them coming new but empty.

Think you can keep using that food. Doubt its expired if it was there. The cups might be shrimp feeding cups. There's probably no more shrimp in there if the tetras where left without food.

Thank you for the detailed response!
Just to be clear, I should drain 30% water, rinse the Eheim contents in that and then throw the water away.
Then use tap water and add the dechlorinator to that and then add all to the tank?
The tap water here contains lots of chlorine, lots of lime scale in the kettle for example, is that ok?

Cheers!

Just to be clear, I should drain 30% water, rinse the Eheim contents in that and then throw the water away.
Yes correct. If you have house/garden plants you can water them with it. Makes them grow better.

If the filter still doesn't work after cleaning it and you have to buy a new one. Keep the contents from this filter and move it over.

Then use tap water and add the dechlorinator to that and then add all to the tank?
The tap water here contains lots of chlorine, lots of lime scale in the kettle for example, is that ok?
If you going to use safe it recommends treating for the whole take volume before adding the water back. You can add it into the tank and then add the water. Or add into the bucket both ways will work.

Safe will remove both chlorine and chloramine. You can also add doubble dose if the chlorine level is very high.

Lime scale is okay just means your water is hard as far as I know. (I also get it in the kettle and haven't had issues) Which is okay the fish will adapt. (Probably alreday used to it if the previous person used tap water too)

You might alreday know this but just in case. : Tank volume is calculated Length in cm X Width X hight ÷ 1000.

Short update, after speaking to a local shop, I decided to start from scratch.
It cost more than I had hoped it would, but hopefully the fish survive the trauma.

Any advise to keep the tank algae free?
Any other maintenance tips I should be aware of?
Should I add snails or shrimps?
I have not added CO2 yet as the regulator seems faulty and a new system is pricey!

Thanks for all the previous responses!

It cost more than I had hoped it would, but hopefully the fish survive the trauma.

I have not added CO2 yet as the regulator seems faulty and a new system is pricey!

See if you can get an internal filter with a UV built in. It should stop algae growth but I think the external filter should have a UV light, you might just need to replace it. I wouldn't run CO2 at your level, CO2 yes is good for a full planted but at your level just keep it simple. Water changes are best along with a bottle of prime. If you can look for a fish group called TASA(TROPICAL AQUARIUM SOUTH AFRICA). They the frshwater side and will have much more experience than us reefers

Looking way better now. Best way I've found for alege is adding 1 or 2 bristle nose plecos. The great for keeping it clean. Other maintenance is just water changes and gravel vac now and then.

Snails could work for keeping the algea in check. Shrimp will probably become food for the tetra.

You should be able to buy a regulator by itself but its not neccesry for those plants I don't think

Back
Top Bottom