Aquarium Controllers.

This chart does not compare the full IKS computer with the others - only the IKS Midi which is smaller in function than the full IKS.

Max, who is going to do backup in SA.

From what I have seen the top 3 are available in SA.

Nobody as far as i know.

And from what i have read, this controller is mighty fine. Much more features without buying extra stuff that has to control it. Some controllers you need some sort of interface with every aparatus you purchase, this one you dont.

Thats the problem with ordering goods on the net. When they go wrong you have a problem getting them sorted.

But i can still import 3 units for the price of one locally, thats what makes it rediculous. And the features cannot even compare to the latest technology. :thumbup:

That I find very hard to believe. 1 and half maybe.

Yep. The controllers is in the region of R4000 Locally, then you need an interface for lets say a pH probe and then you need the probe. Thats an extra R2500 bucks. With this unit you get all the below in one simple module. The others sell theres seperate for each probe u want to add.

The only probe you have to buy extra is the ORP and you can buy there unit or any one on the market with a bnc plug. (there probe is R450). I ordered the complete unit with two extra socket outlets (8 plugs total) ORP probe and the baseline unit with all the stuff i need included for R5880. At the local fish shop the sell the socket outlets for R1800 each - imported R720 -

pH Port1ORP Port1Temperature Port1Micro Switch Ports2Bus Ports2LED Status Indicator1
NameSizeFormatVersionDate Posted RKM-SL1 User Guide 106KB .pdf Rev B 07/15/08

This is what i baught for R3920-00. And for this money you can only purchase the baseline controller in SA. Go get a quote on what i baught anywhere in SA at any LFS and see what i mean. I know i paid for this and it should be shipped soon. ANd the local ones can only control 16 outlets, this one can do 250. The technology is much more advanced are we still work on the old stuff for way more.

The ReefKeeper Elite is true to its name, standing alone in the industry as the most innovative aquarium controller on the market. With the most intuitive interface and easy to use system controls, you'll find it will simplify all aspects of your aquarium system that it controls. There's also no need to find a power outlet near the head unit as there's no power cord needed; power is provided right from the bus. The compact and convenient design, multiple mounting options and great looks makes the ReefKeeper Elite right for almost any installation; and without any unsightly probe wires dangling about, the head unit will add a touch of class to any tank!

The ReefKeeper is the most expandable controller we know of, allowing the control of over 250 outlets. It has the capability of reading more probes and input devices than even the most demanding system will ever need. All this makes the RKE suitable for tanks from 1 to 10,000 gallons and beyond.

One of the biggest advantages of the RKE system is what it comes with! Other controllers leave you wanting and having to purchase add-ons just to get them to a usable level. The RKE system includes two PC4s; that's 8 outlets to control! You also get an SL1 that will allow you to monitor pH, ORP, temperature and two switches; not to mention a free temperature probe and pH probe. All this for hundreds of dollars less than other controllers that barely give you enough to get started.
Included Headunit:
1 x ReefKeeper Elite Head Unit (RKM-GC1)

Included Modules:
1 x RKM-SL1 (pH, ORP, temperature, 2 micro switches)
2 x RKM-PC4 (total of 8 outlets)
1 x RKM-SID (System Interface Device)

Included Accessories:
1 x pH Probe Kit
1 x Temperature Probe
2 x Switch Input Adapters
1 x 6' Bus Cable
2 x 3' Bus Cable
2 x 1' Bus Cable
1 x 6' USB Cable
8 x Mounting screws
Ethernet Capable
Because the ReefKeeper Elite is a modular system we have the ability to develop new features as time goes on. One feature that we've been defining is an Ethernet module that will allow users to take advantage of their home networks and the World Wide Web. Digital Aquatics is dedicated to producing quality products at great prices! This module is still under development and we're working on every aspect of it to reduce cost to you and NOT compromise safety and functionality. More to come on this optional module. Wireless Communication
While a USB connection for your ReefKeeper Elite is needed for updates to firmware, nobody wants an unsightly wire running from their ReefKeeper to their PC. This will offer a Zigbee like wireless network experience. While we're not ready to release all the details, our wireless module will give you freedoms and abilities that other systems just can't offer. More to come on this optional module. Upgradeability
The RKE also has upgradeable firmware so your controller can grow with your system; and firmware updates are always free! NEW - Advanced 11 button CapSense interface
By expanding from the traditional 3 button interfaces of the past we have given the user a more intuitive interface to navigate with. The RK Elite menu, programming, and viewing systems take full advantage of the new interface providing an all around easier experience. NEW - 128 x 64 Graphical display (w/RGB backlight and 30 background colors)
The RK Elite utilizes a graphical display that allows us to display status icons, data graphs, and a variety of information in a way that has not been possible before. NEW - More than 250 Programmable Channels
One of the highlights of the RK Elite system is its ability to control over 250 outlets. While most people will never need that many outlets, some will. Our goal is to be forward thinking and give your new system the freedom to grow. Multiple Mounting Options
Like the RK1 and RK2 the RK Elite provides for multiple mounting options like flush mount and surface mount. While other controllers are big and awkward to mount needing unstable Velcro or unsightly restraints the RKE will add a touch of class to your system. Let face it, we all work hard to keep our tanks looking good and the RKE will be a great addition! NEW - Home Screen (w/easy to read icons and data)
The new Home Screen provides you with quick information that is well laid out and easy to read. Icons provide you the current state of your system while you can quickly scroll through all the data for your tank with the touch of a button. Keeping tabs on your tank has never been easier! Simple menu system for easy configuration
We've worked hard to try and make the interface as simple and intuitive as possible for the RK Elite. With the advantage of the new interface we're able to really produce a one of a kind experience. Night Mode - Independently Programmable
Our Night Mode feature allows the RK Elite to change depending on the time of day. In Night Mode the RK Elite can activate your Moon Light Controller, dim your display, transitioning your tank into a calm state. NEW - 63 Alarms
With 63 alarms and an audible and visual alert you'll know when any of your critical system parameters are out of range. NEW - Data Logging
The RK Elite has onboard data logging for up to 32 probes/device with over 1000 data points each. NEW - Data Graphing
With our new graphical head unit comes the ability to really display historic data the right way. Our dynamic graphing will help you track the performance of your system over time allowing you to quickly see when and where things are happening. Metal Halide control with "Sure-On"
Just like the RK1 and RK2 the RK Elite system will make sure your Metal Halide bulbs come back on after a power interruption. Sure-On is a 15 minute delay that gives these expensive and sensitive bulbs time to cool which insures safe, continuing usage over time. NEW - Light Timer with Weekday/Weekend schedules and safety temp cut off
New to the light timer is the ability to set different lighting modes for weekdays and weekends. This gives you the option of setting a lighting cycle that caters to your viewing schedule as it changes throughout the week. You still have our safety cut off temp that will shut your lights down if your tank gets above some set point. Moon Light Controller (optional)
With the optional MLC the RK Elite system can simulate a true lunar cycle. Read more on the RKM-MLC in that section. NEW - Multi-timer function
The multi-timer is all new. You're now able to stack up to four unique timers to create any on/off cycles you would like. This is great for dosing and other scheduled tasks that don't happen on a regular interval or for creating your own special cycle based on your needs. NEW - 63 Dedicated Timers
There are 63 advanced timers you can program and with the Multi-timer you can mix and match them in any fashion you'd like to get even more complex functions. NEW - 2 Standby/Feed/Service modes
The RK Elite also sports two user settable standby functions. This gives you the flexibility to configure multiple service modes for activities like feeding, water changes, and other maintenance. Control Functions
The new "Controller" function can take any probe input and act on it with a user settable hysteresis. This includes pH, ORP, temperature and micro switches just for starters. You can also take action based on current draw or load on any PC4 and you'll be able use any future probes that are added to the system! Sumps/Skimmers pump control
You can program the sump pump and skimmer pump functions to be off in standby and even have a standby delay just to make sure your system doesn't overflow or over skim food after a feeding. Wavemaker A/B and C/D pump control
We've expanded our old wavemaker control to include a "D" mode. Now you can set up multiple pairs of power heads to get all the turbulent flow you need! NEW - Top-off pump control
Use this setting to control a pump based on a micro switch for top-off and many other features. NEW - Key Lock
Lock out unwanted and accidental usage of your RK Elite. With a simple lock, you can make sure the kids, your friends or anyone else doesn't mess with your controller. Battery Backup
The battery in the RK Elite is user serviceable. If it ever goes dead it can be replaced without the need for service. NEW - Audible Feedback
Also new to the RK Elite is audible feedback. You can turn this feature on or off depending on your preference. Splash-proof Faceplate
Wet fingers aren't a problem with our full covering face plate. Upgradeable Firmware
Like the RK2 before it the RK Elite has upgradeable firmware. This will help you maintain your investment over time and allow you it grow as we release more and more expandability!

But let mine arrive and we see. :biggrin:

var mypets=new ddtabcontent("java_nav") mypets.setpersist(false) mypets.setselectedClassTarget("link") mypets.init(000)

I haven't heard of this controller so I cant comment. But what would you want to do with 250 ports though???? Beware of the pitfalls of trying to import cheaply over the WWW. Have you taken freight into consideration and the clearing charges plus VAT that you are going to have to pay when it arrives?

Try and send it back for repair if/when it should go wrong. Without being a registered importer/exporter with a SARS customs code you will not be able to do this. The supplier will not pay for return shipping either so you gotta fork out to get it there and back to you again.

So you may save some cash now but you have no backup.

Another thing I noticed on their site is that the plug bars are only for American plugs and I couldn't find whether it will run on SA 220-240 volt power. i would find out before bringing it in and you cant use the unit.

Found this.:(

Turns out that Reef Keeper Elite might have been released too soon. Or at least thats what some owners are saying. With a horde of bug problems with the Reef Keeper Elite one owner had this to say: “As far as bug fixes and new modules, it’s a waiting game played a company w/ 3 employees who do the day-to-day support, sales and PayPal accounts receivables. Forget getting a refund at this point, another user was angrily informed that he’s stuck with the unit & the thread was shut down [on their support site]“. Ouch that is pretty tough. It makes you wonder if they should have increased the testing/beta stage of the unit before releasing it to the public. There is always this unit and this one to consider for your aquarium controller. Both are out of the $490 price bracket the Reef Keeper Elite is at, but both manufacturers claim no bugs, or at least that is what Profilux is preaching.

Found this.:(

That was in July 2008, when they just released the unit. I have been in contact with Scott Bogner from reefkeeper since May 08. And he has sent me email on the progress of the release since July 08 and he suggested then that i do wait to order until they know that all was in order with the new unit as its a long way down here if they send it. On the 9th September 2008 the unit was sorted after the release was held back for 2 months as they did have bug issues in the beginning and during the 2 months all bugs was fixed. I received a mail the same day to inform me that the unit was now bug free and ready for release. If they had a hidden agenda to get it sold he would have taken my money in July 08. Regarding the 3 staff members in July 08 i received an email in July 08 that they were short staffed as there was some labour issues " just like in SA " therefore the delay in answering the emails and questions i had requested answers for.

But as i say, it was a personal choice. And i do hope that it is going to be worthwhile.

I haven't heard of this controller so I cant comment. But what would you want to do with 250 ports though???? Beware of the pitfalls of trying to import cheaply over the WWW. Have you taken freight into consideration and the clearing charges plus VAT that you are going to have to pay when it arrives?

Try and send it back for repair if/when it should go wrong. Without being a registered importer/exporter with a SARS customs code you will not be able to do this. The supplier will not pay for return shipping either so you gotta fork out to get it there and back to you again.

So you may save some cash now but you have no backup.

Another thing I noticed on their site is that the plug bars are only for American plugs and I couldn't find whether it will run on SA 220-240 volt power. i would find out before bringing it in and you cant use the unit.

The cost is around R1600 bucks.

A customs code is not a problem. And as i said its cheaper to buy a replacement unit and have it shipped. But basic stuff can be fixed by a good technician, not all importers has technicians working for them they hand it over to one not working for them.

A backup works as long as the guarantee lasts, after that you pay for the repair. Volkswagen put the SEAT on the market and they are stopping the import as well, poor guy that baught it is going to pay the price.

Scott Bogner assured me that it will work on SA power.

Back
Top Bottom