Aquarium Computers

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking...

...there are quite a few computers and controllers on the market currently. But not one single one that solves the problem of cluttered power supplies/multiplugs etc.

Does anyone know of a computer that not only controlls, but also acts as the power supply.

When using a normal controller, the hardware being controlled, still needs to be plugged in somewhere and the wire connected to the controller. This actually adds to the mess.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My thinking is that you have one unit with one cable from wall socket. Then it acts as an intelligent multiplug with buil;tin timers, inputs etc. And no plugs involved.

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but there are design related issues that make it difficult to do...

Reaction score
My thinking is that you have one unit with one cable from wall socket. Then it acts as an intelligent multiplug with buil;tin timers, inputs etc. And no plugs involved.
Just think how big something like this would be - and where do you mount it so that it would still be easy to get everything plugged in?Small tank will be fine but on a bigger tank extension cords etc will be needed.

Will be way more messy.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Why would it be so big? It would be bigger than other computers, but not that much. Remember there will be no plugs involved.

Reaction score
But that would mean that you have to cut plugs off and thus void warranties...

Reaction score
i would imagine by means of the power bars they control? Still doesn't solve your clutter issue. Have you looked at the DB board approach Adriaan uses?

djmurray

Email me about anything
Reaction score
Im sure there are controllers that just control certain items in the tank....

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i would imagine by means of the power bars they control? Still doesn't solve your clutter issue. Have you looked at the DB board approach Adriaan uses?

Yeah, very neat but can you add relays to a DB board?

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Cool, My brother in law is an electrician but lazy as hell and will probably make me pay for it. If it wasn't for that I would have done it already....lol.

Reaction score
so whats a medium rated trip switch?

i mean like on a car, you can get away with only carrying 20 amp fuses as spare cause generally the ones that blow are between 10 and 30

so whats a save range to go for on a DB board?

Reaction score
I would say 5A (if you can get them) and 10A. 5A will generally be enough to run 1250W worth of equipment.