Aquarium bottom style

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by FrikkieVanDieVrystaat, 31 Jan 2016.

1. FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

Hi everyone, a year ago i built my own aquarium from scratch with 10mm glass. The dimensions were 1650x50x50. Now i want to build a 1.8mx60x60 aquarium and i am wondering about the bottom. The new tank will also be 10mm glass so i want to do a double bottom, so whats better ? A normal bottom or floating? I am leaning torwards a double floating bottom, how will the stand and support differ?

Frikkie

Last edited: 31 Jan 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

A normal bottom is sufficient for this size. You can eieo brace internally at the bottom to increase the bond area for the glue. A second "double base" isn't necessary but if it's in the budget it can't hurt to put it in..

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat likes this.
  4. FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat Thread Starter

Thanks leslie! How should i brace the top? Euro brace with an added center brace?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

You could leave out the center bace on top and euro brace if you wend wider and with thicker glass on the bracing

I dident want light shaddowing from the led so I went overkill with 150mm wide x 15mm thick glass. This gives me peace of mind longterm

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat likes this.
  6. FrikkieVanDieVrystaat

FrikkieVanDieVrystaat Thread Starter

Thanks, that was my worry too, my current leds pass through the brace and it causes color differences which is really anoying. Thanks for the advice!

Recent Posts