Aquaria or Red Sea?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CarkKent, 30 Oct 2012.

1. CarkKent

CarkKent

Hi All

I hope to get some expert advise from you guys. About 15 months ago I decided to buy an aquarium, being a beginner I started with something small, the BOYU TL550 which has served me extremely well, however as with most of us I just feel its time to move on;)...

Which brings me to my current problem of finding a new tank for Nemo :thumbup:....I'm still only looking for a "plug and play" system and so far most of the research on the forums etc. seems to be pointing towards 2 particular options, the Red Sea 250 and the Aquaria 1000, both have the very similar swimming area for the fish so that is not an issue.

The few issues I have come across so far are:
    The Aquaria is quite high (820) and some people advised I might have light problems for the corel at the bottom. I'm also a fan of curved edges and the Aquaria of course does not have that. However the Aquaria is extremely well build and looks very smart with the finishes especially. I even like the whole sump setup, very smart. The other question regarding the Aquaria that I have come across is the skimmer...is it very noisy inside the cupboard? My currently TL550 skimmer is quiet with it being in the back cavity so I assume the Red Sea will be the same.

The Red Sea Max 250 is also highly recomended, nice curve edges, good setup with all the wiring being out of the way with just one plug. The only problem I have is that it is a bit wide as far as the width is concerned, length and height is not an issue for me but the location my tank will stand makes walking by a bit tricky with the tank being 600 (552 for the tank plus a little gap between the wall and tank). The other concern that I have seen on this site cracks in the Red Sea tanks that occured without any user mistakes...Is there a real reliablity problem with the Red Sea Max 250?

Just another general question, for an aquarium, is it better to have all your equipment (skimmer, pump, carbon etc.) below the tank as with the Aquaria or is it better to have it in the rear such as the Red Sea?

All your input is highly apprecaited.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Oct 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

My personal opinion (I have owned a RSM 250), for the price I would rather get your tank built according to your specifications, you might save some money and get yourself a really great skimmer or better lighting. Personally prefer a sump, getting to the equipment in the rear can be tricky and it is hard to clean out. This being said, both tanks are quite pretty to look at. Good luck with your choice, I know it wont be easy. Oh, masahello.

4. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply carlosdeandrade, funny that you mension the custom tank, I just started going in that direction. I'm in Cape Town and I just asked a friend of mine at Emperor Aquarium to put a package together for me regarding the custom made tanks just to get an idea of the price difference etc. So I will see what he says.

With your advice so far I also feel a sump is better, just seems more practical to have access to your equipment...It really is a difficult choice on what to take.

I was also just told to maybe take a look at the Juwel tanks, even though I noticed most of there tanks have the filtration system inside the tank itself (which I dont really like), the one thing that I really love about the Juwel tanks are there glass joints....its really done nice and looks very neat it hardly damages the view...one of the guys even suggested I have a hole made in the base of the glass tank to accommodate a sump, skimmer, pump etc.

Damn this is not easy!!!

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. pXius

pXius

Custom would be my no. 1 recommendation.

Otherwise the Aquaria, they're after sales support in South Africa is superb.

7. brentnorm

brentnorm

Wouldnt swap my RSM250 for anything. Ok, maybe their new 400, 500 or 650.

8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Ditto! :thumbup:

9. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

Thanks for you advise pXius, the Aquaria tank does have a nice finish.

@brentnorm, hi I'm not sure if you remember me, we met at Billy's Shop in Montague yesterday...thanks again for all your help and advice, still have to come check out your tank someday before I make my choice;), Ebrahim was relly helpful as well.

10. Marine007

Marine007

:welcometomasa2: to MASA.

Seems you need to make a choice between a couple of brilliant options. RSM, Aquaria and a Custom Tank are as it good as it gets!

If you do go the Custom Tank, speak to a couple of shops - you will probably end up buying some of your equipment from them as well. It is important you build a good relationship from the beginning - so "date" a few, before you tie the knot.

11. crispin

crispin

hi ClarkKent, welcome to masa its great to have you join:)

ive worked on a number of RSM250's (and their bigger cousins) and although nice tanks i think a custom tamnk with a decent sump is a far better system. The curved glass is nice to view from but hell if you ever want to take a photo of any fish or corals, almost impossible to get good focus through curved glass.

I havent even used or maintained an aquaria tank although being an SA product you would get good after sales service and ive seen good reviews on them. That depth would worry me though, light penertration and access to the bottom make that dept a no go for me personally. Being able to reach the bottom of your tank to place or retrieve corals that have fallen off is invalluable.

have you looked at second hand tanks? there are some great cubes or similar sized tanks that often come up.

RSM tanks are nice, but they are pricey. Personally Id reccomend looking at a second hand tank in good condition and then spend money on key aspects of the hardware needed. A good skimmer, enough good quality LR, good internal flow and a decent lighting system would be my focus points.

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Nice to have you back, giving your sound advice @crispin!:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

That sounds like good advice crispin, thanks. For the last week or so I have been looking at second hand tanks galore, believe me, and to be honest most of the tanks were clean and all, but all of them had scratches in one place or another and thats what always puts me off:(. Unfortunately I take alot of pride in keeping my tank clean and looked after, my current boyu does'nt have one single scratch so someone will get lucky soon;). I guess not all people are the same which is why I sort of gave up on second hand tanks and told myself to rather just push for a new tank even though its gonna be more damaging financially lol.

14. Marine007

Marine007

While you are pondering all the options - why not create a thread and post some pictures of your Boyu? There is a big Boyu clan on MASA - especially in Cape Town.

15. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

Perhaps I will Marine007, my boyu just went lights out now lol, but I will post some pics tomorrow;)

16. LouiseS

LouiseS

I just did the exact same comparison and have now ordered the RSM250. I know it probably would have been cheaper to do a build but I really like the look of the plug and play systems and dont want on open sump in my lounge :p

The Aquaria is a lovely looking tank but I was worried about not being able to get to the bottom of the tank when something fell over and the effectiveness of the lighting at this depth.

I have heard of one or two of the RSM cracking and that is why I decided to go new rather than second hand. The LFS I bought it from offers fantastic service and I am sure they would help me with any guarantee issues if something goes wrong. Other than than apparently they are great tanks and very quite. :thumbup:

17. Marine007

Marine007

Two words - cabinet doors ... :p
    Remember this when your 250l feel just too small and your thinking about your next upgrade!

PS. Has your RSM arrived yet? Can we expect step by step photos? Very keen to see!
    And any news on that Boyu LED hood?

18. CarkKent

CarkKent Thread Starter

Hi Louises, thanks for you input, we seem to have seen the good and the bad in both options hey, the depth of the Aquaria is a risk, not so much the reaching issue (Im a rather big guy so I think I'll be able to reach lol) but rather the lighting issue for the coral, to over come that issue though someone suggested I use metal halida rather than the T5's it comes with or rather use the 39w instead of the 30w it comes with. Will that make a difference should I decide to take the Aquaria?

The other aspect I would really like to know is the noise factor...Is it fair to assume that the RSM has the same noise level as the Boyu? If that is the case them the noise if ok. Can anyone comment on the noise of the Aquaria? With the skimmer being at the bottom and the doors close, is the noise bad?

19. LouiseS

LouiseS

Haha - yes but my carpentry skills are not up to scratch and because i want it in my lounge, next to the TV (and do not want my husband walk out) it needs to look like a finished piece of furniture...and be as quite :p

It should be at mu LFS tomorrow :D, photos all the way!!

Apparently the Boyu LED hood is still on the ship (STILL!). My order is still in and it is apparently still on its way...but I may have to auction it off with the empty tank :blush:

20. Marine007

Marine007

Let me know - I'll throw in the opening bid!

21. MerlinT

MerlinT

Welcome to MASA. I think you should seriously think of maybe getting a customized tank built. There are quite a few guys who can doi this for you. I know of one guy who built my customized tank and am enjoying it. You can pm me for his number if you want it. With the price you gonna pay for a RSM or Auquaria could prove more expensive for you and still not be what you actually as far as Hardware and practicality is concerned. Going custamized gives you the power to put what you want too as far as hardware is concerned and this really is a bonus.
    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
    Whatever you decide, goodluck and I hope you enjoy every moment of your marine journey with us.
    BTW Keep us posted with lots of pic's hey.
    :thumbup:

Cheers
    M
    ;)

Recent Posts