Aquamedic Reef Blue colour temp?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dane, 29 Jul 2011.

1. Dane

Dane

Hi guys,

Anyone know the colour spectrum (in kelvin) of these globes?
    I had one reef white and one reef blue and i've switched them both to blue for a few days to suppress some of the algae issues I'm having.

Yes, I know this is not the right way to deal with algae. Just don't have the time to do it properly so doing a bit of an experiment. Just want to check if they are very high K, or actinics. If they're actinics then I wont just run the blues.

D

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

aqualine T5 Reef Blue is intended for use in saltwater aquariums with the lamp emitting, almost exclusively, blue light in the spectrum between 400 nm and 500 nm, peaking at 420 nm. These wavelengths enhance the growth of many coral species. In addition, when combined with Reef White 10K or 15K they give the aquarium a most natural appearance.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2011
  4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the blue is a 10k blue if im not mistaken.. i threy my packaging away after i fitted my bulbs .. but im sure you might be able to see on the packaging if you google it and go to images?

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

We always talk about the Kelvin rating of globes, but isn't the Lumen or PAR rating more important?
    I have some geisseman middays, which have a 6000K rating, but have 2450 lm (on the 39W Globe), the aquablue plus has a colour temp of 15000K, but it only has 2250lm (39W).
    Chexk out the sight, loads of info here! Welcome to D-D the Aquarium Solution | The Aquarium Solution

6. Hermanus

Hermanus

Think the reef blue is 20K

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

its 14K

8. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers guys, @jaquesdp08 where did you find that? Did some basic googling and couldnt get kelvin for it - thanks mate.
    @Leslie_hempel I'm pretty sure its bright than 10K, its very bue, unless they mix actinic in with it? I've heard of globes being like a 40/60 mix but I'm not really sure how that works...

@carlosdeandrade although those are important factors, I was not interested in the strength/output, but the colour range that is photosynthetically useful.

As an update, no significant change in algae. But I've read on other forums that this can often weaken the algae and make it easy to remove, but not knock it out completely.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Hermanus

Hermanus

Don't know I just bought 2 X reef white from AM and that is 15K, the blue ones from am is 20k. That is what is on the packet from AM

10. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

just did a google search and it came up with 14k.. :)

11. Hermanus

Hermanus

E-mail from Glynn Forman @ AM. There is according to him only 3 T5 10K white the 15K Reef white and the 20k Blue.;)

12. Noodles

Noodles

aqualine T5 Reef Blue 20k is intended for use in saltwater aquariums with the lamp emitting, almost exclusively, blue light in the spectrum between 400 nm and 500 nm, peaking at 420 nm. These wavelengths enhance the growth of many coral species. In addition, when combined with Reef White 10K or 15K they give the aquarium a most natural appearance.

aqualine T5 Reef White 10K is a bright white lamp with a colour temperature of 10000ºK. The lamp simulates tropical sunlight and is the ideal basic illumination for marine as well as freshwater aquaria. For saltwater aquariums, we recommend combining aqualine T5 Reef White 10K with aqualine T5 Reef Blue to increase the blue spectrum whilst for freshwater the combination of aqualine T5 Reef White 10K with aqualine T5 Plant Grow will enhance plant growth.

A blue/white lamp for the illumination of saltwater aquaria

This lamp emits an extremely bright blue/white light, providing ideal illumination for the saltwater aquarium. The spectrum is chosen to encourage strong coral growth. aqualine T5 Reef White 15K can be used as the sole light source for an aquarium, as well as in combination with aqualine T5 Reef Blue.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
Recent Posts