Aquamedic quad doser setup

SchyffS

Reef Aquarist
Reaction score
I have recently purchased an AM quad doser, i have read that there is a "trick" to set them up to work efficiently.
What should the configuration be, dosing canisters above or below the pumps?
I always understood that these pumps work best with gravity flow, when the pipes are "pinched" then the flow stops.
Can users provide some advise on do's and dont's to setup and operate this doser.

6374db124ba641e4.jpg

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
While testing and setting it up, I would use a water bucket for all input. And 4 dinking glasses for output. Run it a day, exactly 24 hours like that and confirm the ml sent to each drinking glass, and if that is the volume you want or you thought that line was setup for. No need to waste expensive dosing liquid and or overdoing the dosing.

Manic

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What I have found with dosing pumps is that the amount of ml you set it to dose and the output ml is not really that important, it is the consistency. Let say you set it to dose 10ml of calcium and your tanks calcium level is still dropping, you just increase the amount it is dosing.

SchyffS

Reef Aquarist
Reaction score
Yes, i will do a dummy run first.
My question is does the feed tanks sit above the doser or below, which is the better configuration?

Manic

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I always run mine below the doser. The reason being is that the dosing pump doesn't seal the tube completely and I would be scared of it siphoning all my solution into my tank.

SchyffS

Reef Aquarist
Reaction score
I always run mine below the doser. The reason being is that the dosing pump doesn't seal the tube completely and I would be scared of it siphoning all my solution into my tank.
Can you post a pic of your setup, i would like to have a visual, the distances between pump and reservoir.
It would help to put non return valves on the suction side of the doser so that the liquid remains in the pipe when the doser shuts down.

Consistency is the keyword.....i will keep that in mind.

Reaction score
Don't use gravity! They can bypass causing an overdose!

Try have the reservoirs on same level as sump and pump unit just above, with the output pipes just above the the top of the reservoirs. you must also use check valves (one way valve) for each line to prevent the liquid from running back into the reservoirs.

To check the ml's of the output, just remove the plunger from a syringe and place on the end of the pipe, with open side up. It will push the liquid up into the syringe and you could just read off the amount.

Last edited: