AquaForest Balling Method

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I placed my order on the DIY mixing components to make my own dosing liquid to start with the BallingMethod of AF.

my tank currently consumes about 0.7dkh of alkalinity per 24h period. Currently I dose Pure KH from Reeflowers to keep kH in place.

my Calcium get consumed at about 5 to 10 ppm per week.

magnesium at about 10ppm per 2 to 3 weeks.
Previously I did regular waterchanges to keep everything in place, but I recently started adding some SPS pieces to my tank and more LPS piece, so the waterchanges won’t keep up with the consumption.

the instructions calls for equal dosing of each component. But according to what parameter do I calculate this? The AF website says kH. Some other forums say Ca.

My tank volume is about 200L
Lights 2x AI Prime HD.
More LPS than SPS and some softies.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Vleis Visagie

Be good or be good at it
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I placed my order on the DIY mixing components to make my own dosing liquid to start with the BallingMethod of AF.

my tank currently consumes about 0.7dkh of alkalinity per 24h period. Currently I dose Pure KH from Reeflowers to keep kH in place.

my Calcium get consumed at about 5 to 10 ppm per week.

magnesium at about 10ppm per 2 to 3 weeks.
Previously I did regular waterchanges to keep everything in place, but I recently started adding some SPS pieces to my tank and more LPS piece, so the waterchanges won’t keep up with the consumption.

the instructions calls for equal dosing of each component. But according to what parameter do I calculate this? The AF website says kH. Some other forums say Ca.

My tank volume is about 200L
Lights 2x AI Prime HD.
More LPS than SPS and some softies.

Any help would be appreciated
This is the only thing i do not like about AF Balling.....
If i understand it correctly you will need to dose the recommended amount for MG usage & supplement the KH & Ca....

I did ask DEBORA on FB for some advice on which is the main element to dose for...

Ill let you know

Last edited:
Reaction score
I started with the balling method and dosed according to my kH consumption, but. Recently changed that and started to dose according to my calcium consumption. So far all the parameters stays stable on the dot, but I did start to add some more SPs pieces and a clam recently. The tank absolutely loves the dosing and stability. I did also add some t5 supplement lights to the tank. Thus far. Very good and happy with AF. Just slightly worried about the stock availability in the country

Reaction score
I started with the balling method and dosed according to my kH consumption, but. Recently changed that and started to dose according to my calcium consumption. So far all the parameters stays stable on the dot, but I did start to add some more SPs pieces and a clam recently. The tank absolutely loves the dosing and stability. I did also add some t5 supplement lights to the tank. Thus far. Very good and happy with AF. Just slightly worried about the stock availability in the country
Thanks bud!!
Stock worries me a bit too.

Reaction score
Thanks bud!!
Stock worries me a bit too.
If this continues, Ill most probably opt in for a calcium reactor and just dose trace elements for coloration. Or just go the diy chemical option. I have a friend that works with chemicals, and he can sort me out with smaller quantities from his company instead of me having to buy large numbers

Reaction score
I've been running a calcium reactor and been experimenting with dosing trace elements. I can't see any noticible difference. Imo calcium reactor is more than enough to provide the tank with what it needs. I occasionally just do a waterchange to try and keep the ionic balance stable.

Top Bottom