Aqaurium controller to controll my Led lights

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Johan van Aardt, 22 Feb 2011.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

so im building a led light unit and its got two 0 - 10 volt controll jacks. That i need to controll. I would love to go profilux, but at this time it seems rather expensive depending on what ill need for it exactly. my no.1 priority is the controll of the leds, everything else is a bonus.

so any ideas guys?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hi Johan,

The only controller I know of that would be able to do this that is available in the country is the profilux. You don't need the latest unit the profilux II will suffice and you can monitor temp and have modules for PH & Level. It is upgradeable if you wish to do so at a later stage.

Are you only going to run only LED's or are you supplementing with fluorescent or metal halides. Is this unit you are building for a reef tank or fish only system.

4. lIghty

lIghty

Are you looking at something automated or manually controlled? as I could help you should you want to DIY it.

could you post a picture of the driver, perhaps PM the spec sheet if you have it.

5. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

will send you a pm, i would like it automated. the controll box that has the drivers in has manual control already in the form of a sliding pot. now what i would like is an automated 0 - 10 v control to dim the lights on in the morning and off at night to create sunrise sunset effect.

6. lIghty

lIghty

Cool Johan

I will work on something for you during the coming week, just a bit tied up on another project at the moment which I'm hoping to be finished with Tuesday or so. (If all goes well)

Some Questions:

1. What are you going to use for the timing?
    2. Is the timer isolated from main (seperate relay output, not 220V through put)
    3. What sort of "fade in / fade out" times are you looking at? 1min, 10, 1hour?
    4. Are you wanting to controll channels seperately, or tandem?
    Cheers

J

7. Johan van Aardt

1. on off timing will be two timers on the power inputs of the unit.
    2. not sure what you asking
    3. looking for something like 2 hours if possible, minimum 1 hour
    4. separately

if you want any more info please let me know.

8. Johan van Aardt

to give you a bit more of an idee of what i plan read below.

the led's will be on from 11AM till 10:30pm.

now what i was hoping is that there is a unit out there that does what i want exactly, i wanted to have a sunrise effect for 4 hours so it will start at 10% and then in four hours go up to 100%. then stay on full power till 6:30PM were it will start dimming, the whites must be fully dimmed by 9:30pm and the blues on 10% from 9:30pm till 10:30PM till it finally goes off.

this is to help save on energy, help create a natural effect and to not have a too bright system.

what i was hoping is something like a small touch screen interface that would give me current brightness of the led's for each channel. and a customizable sunrise sunset effect for each channel, etc etc etc.

I think if we can create something like this it could be used with most dimmable ballasts, t5, led or MH.

will try upload a pic of what i was imagining.

9. lIghty

lIghty

Ok, this changes the game slighty. If you looking for something so complex, then Profilux is the way, I was thinking more along the lines of a simple circuit.

I could try something uC based, but still no where near as powerful as you asking for (touch screen etc). It would be pre programmed or possibly have dip switches to control the ramp times etc, but with external time (on/off) switching.

10. Johan van Aardt

lol sent brentv a pm about automation but he hasnt gotten back to me so will have to see. hmmmm profilus, so much money............

11. danimal

danimal

dimmable leds will require PWM via a ucontroller (it is possible to generate pwm with analogue methods, but the headache involved is not worth the effort).

i have an led driver that will take 12V and convert it to whatever voltage is needed in order to continuously output a set current - for example, if you have a string of 10 cree mc-e leds and each one drops 3.5V @ 700ma, the output will be 35V and 700mA - 24.5W.

the dimmable circuit i can also provide - requires a bit more thought though.

send a pm if you are interested. if you have a dab hand at electronics you can try build one up yourself, otherwise we can talk about me making one :)

@lIghty, check your whatsapp!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. danimal

danimal

btw, do you have a specific profilux system on your mind?

Recent Posts