aptasia

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jono, 4 May 2015.

1. jono

jono MASA Contributor

good day

i have just purchased a lot of corals from a guy who is giving up on the hobby for the time being. on most of the corals there are aptasia and alot of them. i have read up that peppermint shrimps eat them? is this true as he tried aptasia x and they went viral.

help apreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jimilutz

jimilutz

Peppermint shrimp are a little tricky but they do work. You can squirt aphasia-x, joes juice or kalkwasser paste on them. You can inject them with lemon juice. Filefish eat them, sometimes other polyps too. I take the infected coral out if possible and burn them with a soldering iron. On those rocks/corals I cannot remove I use kalkwasser paste. My peppermint shrimps never lasted:(

4. jono

jono Thread Starter MASA Contributor

aptasia x was the cause for the out break and they are all over the zooz and sps so I I need to find a solution urgently

5. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Jono - There really is not a quick solution to Aiptasia.
    There is however a few things you can try. There is mainly three approached to get rid of Aiptasia - or combinations of these three.

Chemical:
    injecting or covering the individual culprits with a chemical solution such as vinegar, acid, Aiptasia-X, joes etc.

Biological:
    Introducing biological methods to try control aptasia such as file fish, shrimp, copperband etc.

Mechanical removal:
    lasers, physical removal, blow torch, soldiering iron etc.

I have had some success with biological control, and that is the option I would recommend. In my view this cause the least amount of "spores" being distributed throughout the tank.

Totally unscientifically view - just my thoughts and 2c

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Aiptasia x will only cause a spread of them when its used incorrectly. I have used that product successfully on many occasions

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Aiptasia-X does work.

BUT
    When the guy from Red Sea was out here some time ago, he did make a very interesting remark. When asked why their product is not "working". His reply was that the buggers do spawn when you use Aiptasia-X. You will see it as that small white cloud puffing out as the pests retracts. You have to redo the process again, before day 43. That is how long they take to be able to spread again via spawning. If you take out the "juveniles" you would be able to stop the spreading.

It is not Aiptasia-X product that fails. Any other chemical that allows the aiptasia to spawn while retracting will have the same flaw (if you want to call it a flaw, more a survival technique).

So does not matter which chemical route you take. You need to do it once a month at least until all under control.

I doubt that you would be able to take out a thousand in a 100L system as well. The volume of chemicals you introduce into the tank would just be too much. You can only do that much at a time. Maybe every second day maximum. Again, does not matter which chemical route you take. Using 1L lemon juice into your tank on a single day must affect something down the line.

I used vinegar with success previously. But here you need to take into account how vinegar or lemon juice actually do the job. It is a much lower PH. Which results in you dissolving the aiptasia. So a quick squirt into them will not work, as most of the fluid will go to waste, washed away before it could dissolve the pests. So do it s l o w l y...

Remember, vinegar is also a sort of sugar dosing. Very much the same as vodka dosing. So read up on that first. You simply cannot go Rambo on the aiptasia and kill them all in one go. You will mess up your available carbon levels, creating a bacterial bloom.

At the end of the day, there is no quick fix.

Mantra Ray likes this.
  8. jono

jono Thread Starter MASA Contributor

due to the amount in and amongst the corals I might need to zap each one with lemon juice as aptaisia x made the problem worse

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Recently I got an Aiptasia Wand.
    Takes at least a minute to totally destroy one of the little buggers. OK, it does depend on where they are, in deep crevice takes a bit longer as it is difficult to ensure that the foot area is completely destroyed.

I also got 2 Aiptasia eating filefish. They are the fastest way to get rid of all those buggers. They simply are the best. Pity they are not 100% reef safe. But as soon as you remove the fish, small ones that were able to retract deep enough for the fish not to get to them will re-emerge. Not saying all file fish are not reef safe. One I had 2 years ago was totally OK in my display. Not these 2, they stay in my holding tank and I move rocks to them, or they go and visit friends systems some times (with the knowledge that they are risky).

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How on earth did he come up with that number?

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not know. I did find it an odd number, that is why I remember it. By the Q&A time I forgot to ask him.

But it does make sense that if they do spawn when attacked, you have to redo the process on the new small ones that come out after that, before they get big.

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Vinegar is a totally different type of carbon dosing to sugar. Never get the two mixed up.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip, I know, my point in context to discussion; just like Vodka you cannot add unlimited volume on a single day into your tank.

Same as I doubt it to be OK to zap with Aiptasia Wand 20 buggers in a TL550 on a single day.

Last edited: 5 May 2015
Recent Posts