Aptasia

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Abed Mia, 19 Jun 2011.

1. Abed Mia

Abed Mia

Hi
    I just noticed an aptisia on a rock ware I have about 15 shroms. I'm sure is aptasia cus it looks like the ones on all the pics I have seen about them. And the shroms next to it are all shriveled up.

What should I do?
    What can get rid of it without me having to intevine

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to our world. Now get yourself some Aiptasia X at the LFS and zap it...;)

4. Abed Mia

Abed Mia Thread Starter

Wiith this would I have to remove the entire rock out of the tank

5. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Nope, you don't have to remove the LR

6. Abed Mia

Abed Mia Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the info.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

+1 on this

no it comes with a syringe that you use to target squirt the pests.

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

@vatso

Guys, I have been asking myself this question, and I cannot find the clear answer...

We know that one can implement biological (peppermintshrimps or butterfly fish), mechanical (physical removal or scraping) and chemical (Aiptasia X and the likes) to remove aiptasia.

But here is the question: when a biological approach is taken, and the butterfly / shrimp eats the aiptasia, does that no release spores, meaning that you will never really "beat" the aiptasia? Or does the fish / srimp take out the spores too?

I know that even if you use aiptasia x etc, you always have the risk of spores releasing.

Then my question is, can aiptasia really ever be beaten?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. butcherman

vatso is MIA i belive.... isnt he?

10. jonno

jonno

ive used aptasia x and tried scraping it off in the past(made it worse and cost me alot of coral as it spread everywhere afterwards) perhaps try remove the rock that its on and boil it or bleach it if small enough after removing any corals that can be saved without disturbing the aptasia of course!, or if you have aptasia on any manageable sized rocks i would just remove the rocks and treat in a holding or quarintine tank if available then maybe try aptaisia x and leave for a week or so to check if you got it properly, cos if it spreads in your dt its gonna cost u corals especially the likes of star polyps and zoas if it gets in between them ect. please note this is only my opinion, aptaisia has got to be the worst pest in a coral tank if it spreads, good luck mate :gun_bandana:

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jun 2011
  11. Jaco Schoeman

Not sure... I know he has been quiet, but I know he also did some extensive research on the issue. Not sure who else to "@" that may be able to answer.

Maybe @FransSny let us see what the man with the plan says...

12. butcherman

All the expirence i have had with pests is that there is no eradication, mearly control

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I used Aiptaisa X and they never come back.
    Like most tank problems, there is no once off treatment that gets rid of all the aiptasia. No matter how thorough you are, you will always miss a small one or one behind a rock. So be patient and take treat over a few weeks. You need to be persistent and not give up. And if you going to inject one, make sure you do it properly the first time. Stressing them out will get them to spread.

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I added a CB (copperband) to my tank about three months back, I had about ten aiptasia, he ate all of them in a space of a week and I have never got them back. In fact I go to my LFS and get rock with Aiptasia so that he can have a "treat" every so often.

15. Jaco Schoeman

Geez. come to me, I will give you FEAST!!!

The one thing I did wrong, and please guys take note, I had one and left it, then two and left it, three etc (you get the picture...:p)

And by the time I decided NOW I have to start doing something about it, I had an invation. I take out (no jokes) about 50 aiptasia per week, just to have 80 grow back by the next week.

The second thing I do wrong, and please learn from my mistakes, is that I ONLY nail them on weekends, as I am too lazy / busy in the week.

So firstly never let them become too much, and if you have done so, take em out daily, that is the only way you might win. I just hope my peppermints get to the ones I cannot see behind and under rockwork. But as per my "thread steel post" I wonder if they can keep up with the spores spreading...

16. butcherman

I think if you have CB, Peppermints for the small apitasia and use apistasia x on the larger ones, you can control them

17. Jaco Schoeman

I also think that if you do not have a reef aquarium at all then you should be safe...

Last edited: 20 Jun 2011
  18. FransSny

FransSny

Jaco after we spoke this morning I have been thinking about this a bit again ....

IMHO fish & shrimps provide a 50 % chance at best, as we all know you sometimes get those supposed Aptasia killers , who dont touch it. I have also always wondered about aptasia spawning when being munched down by a butterfly or whatever.

Chemical preparations also seem to only last a while before new babys creep in.

I personally feel there is only two options to really rid your tank of Aptasia.

Kill your LR by leaving outside for a week or two , thus also killing a life and Aptasia spores.

Only use frags to populate your tank, thus minimizing small & hiding aptasia in LR on which larger specimens are sold.

Use a VERY agressive coral such as Horn corals to kill off the Aptasia (this is however not always viable as they WILL kill off any other corals nearby)

My 2C

19. Jaco Schoeman

FANX Frans!!!

20. SIMS

SIMS

best way is to start with none and QT everything that comes into your system - we should be doing this anyways

21. butcherman

So what is the required quarintine period to make sure there is no apitasia on the LR?

Recent Posts